Wellingtonians south coast. Question?

mr-serious, May 5, 3:34am
Howdy team. Can you still access the south coast road during the week! If so, Do you reckon my 2 wheel drive Hilux will get over Devils gate!

mugenb20b, May 5, 3:56am
2WD Hilux over the Devil's gate! No way buddy. You need ground clearance and 4WD (as you will get cross axled even if you had the ground clearance in a 2WD). But, you can get to the Devil's gate, as long as you are careful and use momentum, otherwise, the bum end of the vehicle will start drifting towards the sea when you hit the loose stuff.

To the best of my knowledge, that road is closed to vehicles on Sundays only.

mr-serious, May 5, 4:04am
Cool so the week day is on. I have a challenge from a colleague. It is based around him telling me theres no way I can get my 2wd Hilux over Devils gate, And me thinking I can.

mugenb20b, May 5, 4:09am
Lets put it this way. I had a 1986 Bighorn go over the gate, it scraped the exhaust pipe and broke a tooth inside the steering box, and I had lifted rear suspension. When I got to the top, I couldn't turn left (and you need to go right). So, once I was over the other side, I could only just turn around to back, it was an interesting trip going home, lol.

You can try, but I'll guarantee you won't make it, unless you give it beans 50 metres before approaching the slope, and even then, you'll break something. Don't do it. But if you do, can you please post a video on here!

mr-serious, May 5, 4:27am
I am giving it some serious thought. Theres nothing like a 'Theres no way you can do that' to motivate the madness.

russ18, May 5, 5:49am
Watched an idiot take a toyota starlet over devils gate, wee bit of damage but it got there.