Diesel or Petrol MPV?

majsp, May 11, 8:54am
Am about to buy myself a 1996 - 1998 MPV.In the past I have owned only petrol models.I have been told to stick to petrol as they are cheaper to fix is this true!Thanks

mugenb20b, May 11, 9:14am
Ummm.OK.don't. Can I suggest something better, like a 2.2 litre Honda Odyssey or a 2.0 litre Toyota Ipsum!

majsp, May 11, 9:24am
Love the old MPV's mugenb20b so you're talking to someone already converted.Have owned two, only car I've owned in years, never a problem.I note there are a lot of diesels for sale here and was wondering if they would be as good.Family and friends say only if they are serviced regularly and don't break down.

mugenb20b, May 11, 10:37am
The 2.5 diesel is a good donk as long as it's not overheated. The same turbo engine used in a Bounty ute seems to have a lot more power than the MPV.

Diesel engine hasn't got an ignition system to fail as such, so they are much simpler to maintain, but cost more to service and will cost heaps more if they develop any kind of running problems.

Keep in mind that licencing costs more + RUCs for diesel vehicles.

r15, May 11, 8:45pm
usually for a vehicle of this size, especially if the seats get used you will save money by owning a diesel one over a petrol, unless you do incredibly low km's in it.

regarding the engine - the 2.5td if it's the same as the one in the courier / bounty you see everywhere then that can't be a bad thing either- its not like they have a bad reputation!

the diesel would probably perform better too

mugenb20b, May 11, 10:03pm
The WL-T engine is used in both vehicles, Bounty and MPV, but like I said, the Bounty has loads more power for some reason. Maybe there are some differences in design.