Auto gear shift ,starting problem

radar51, May 8, 4:55am
1990 laser sedan.Recently car starts only after I wiggle the shift lever. Today the thing finally wouldnt start. Anyone know where the switch is for me to examine as I cant see one anywhere.

beast9, May 8, 5:11am
should be on the linkage on the gearbox should have around 4 wires in a plug

radar51, May 8, 5:21am
thanks. ill have another look. Utube shows cars with solenoid /transmission issues for later models.

radar51, May 8, 5:31am
No theres nothing like that. ill have to go to the library.

ghost-roaster, May 8, 5:39am
Its on the gear box where the cable meats the leaver.

radar51, May 8, 5:45am
It sounds so obvious. But I swear theres nothing remotely like it. I wish I could photo the area and post it somehow.

tonyrockyhorror, May 8, 5:53am
As above, inhibitor swtich is faulty. Easy to locate and repair/replace/bypass.

radar51, May 8, 6:12am
Where the cable meets the lever there is a simple join with a pin to connect onto a rod which rotates vertically down into the gearbox.There is definitely no switches or attachments. There is an earth wire of the rod mounting bracket,but thats all.

kheal, May 8, 6:23am
Google ford laser inhibitor switch or relay. That is what stops the car from starting in drive or reverse. Once you find it twist the 2 wires together and you should be sweet.

andrewph, May 8, 6:36am
If its not on the auto it mabe fitted around the lever in the centre consol. ;o)

radar51, May 9, 6:09am
I found it as I suspected that it wasthe cylinder shape device on the gearbox. Continiuty tests failed but after unscrewing it and messing around it is going again.

unbeatabull, May 9, 6:34am
May of just needed adjusting/resetting. Quite a few Fords of that age (Falcons in particular) are known for needing adjustment, a lot get replaced when not needed.

snoopy221, May 9, 6:40am
Dude they are basiacly filled with grease-and it age hardens causing the **issues** you describe and the **fiddle fix** you describe.K

radar51, May 9, 10:24am
Thanks snoopy, that was from july last year,all going ok but i admit the cut out switch someimes needed a nudge to start the car.mmm.By loosening the switch housing allows car to start, therefore by making the adjustment at the lever should also work by either shortening or lengthening the adjuster, my guess will be shortening it. Cheers.

snoopy221, May 9, 1:34pm
Re read #13 k