TV in BMW 530i interesting question.

michaelqian, May 31, 8:38am
Hi all. I guess it doesn't really matter which car the TV is in. My 2003 BMW 530i has a TV in the computer screen on the central dash. It does not allow me to watch it while the car is moving, which makes sense obviously. But if I'm to watch it while it is stationary, I either waste gas with the engine running, or if I turn the engine off, I run the risk of draining the battery. So how is the TV a useful feature! Cheers

andrea_w, May 31, 8:47am
You won't drain a battery in a big hurry from watching a tv. it's obviously designed to be watched when you're stationary. You simply choose if you want to waste petrol idling. or not

jason_247, May 31, 11:07am
this is why bmws have huge batteries

plus when analogue disappears you need not worry about it

michaelqian, Jun 1, 8:44am
Hmmm fair enough comment with the big battery. I still wouldn't feel very comfortable though. Once I had a Subaru Forester that wouldn't start after 20 minutes of listening to the radio with the engine off.

n1smo_gtir, Jun 1, 8:35pm
the tv is designed as entertainment features for the passengers. as a driver, your eyes are meant to be fixed on the road. if you really want to watch the screen so bad, swap seat with a passenger.

elect70, Jun 2, 2:40am
Cant live without your TV eh . With all these "gadgets they are putting in cars, notably down on centre console, could be cause of more driverstaking eyes off the road &having a prang !.Seen a newPorschewith 2 rows ofbuttons down sides of thegearstick controling allthetoys , only takes a secondlooking down for accident .

jenny188, Jun 2, 3:32am
. So how is the TV a useful feature! Cheers[/quote]
You'll get a lot of laughs and funny looks next year when you need a dish on the roof to get the digital signal.
Bmw install them so you have something to do while waiting for the service technician to get you going again.

galex, Jun 2, 5:33am
Try reading the OPs post again mate.

hawat, Jun 2, 7:41am
We have a 1998 540 still with the original battery and I have watched 25 minutes tv engine off waiting outside shops at newstime (wife and shopping). Never had a prob with battery until 3 weeks ago. Had to call Roadside Rescue and replaced the battery. Thats when we found out it was the original. 14 years! Point is tho' that no prob watching 25 mins even on an old battery.

hawat, Jun 2, 7:41am
We have a 1998 540 still with the original battery and I have watched 25 minutes tv engine off waiting outside shops at newstime (wife and shopping). Never had a prob with battery until 3 weeks ago. Had to call Roadside Rescue and replaced the battery. Thats when we found out it was the original. 14 years! Point is tho' that no prob watching 25 mins even on an old battery. Bad part = replacement battery from bmw $500 replacement from Marshall Batteries $300 but don't know if it will last 14 years.