V6 Honda Accord

75ta, Jul 2, 7:56am
The auto trans in my Accord has started slipping and I can smell burnt trans fluid from outside the car. what should I do next! I haven't checked the dipstick yet but would it be worth changing the fluid or just get a trans mechanic to have a look at it. Cheers

zak1998, Jul 2, 8:12am
If the oil isblack and not red sell the car

mugenb20b, Jul 2, 8:56pm
Stop talking shit Scotty!

mugenb20b, Jul 2, 9:00pm
If the transmission is slipping, see your mechanic and follow his advice. If the car is fairly new, it is worthwhile rebuilding the transmission, they are reasonably easy and inexpensive to repair compared to most other cars. If it's old and done many k's, get rid of the car.

jezz43, Jul 2, 9:05pm
care free motoring and holden dont belong in the same sentence. i own a VT and il never buy another holden again. too unreliable and when you fix 1 problem, another arises.i agree with mugen, check it out and see if its worth rebuilding or not. ignore scotty, hes just the resident holden fanboi

75ta, Jul 2, 10:26pm
Thanks all. The car is a 2003 with about 120Ks. I will talk to a auto trans shop next week. Thanks for the advice about buying a Holden but I already have one.

pandai, Jul 2, 10:31pm
Double check with Honda that the transmission has been looked at before - there was a recall on these models to add oil jets to the transmission.it has probably been done though.

clark20, Jul 2, 10:31pm
Inexpensive like $2-3K! Google V6 accord transmissions and see what you get, unfornuately the trans is the weak point, but they are a nice car. And I have owned one for 5 years, now have a Commodore so I can speak for both. Accord is better quality, Commodore is better quantity, each has their good points, and yes I will buy another Holden.

johnf_456, Jul 2, 10:35pm
Second that, care free and reliability in the same sentence!

thegravelracer, Jul 3, 2:38am
piss off scotty no one cares what YOU have to say your a broken f88king record ,your nothing but a hater

carkitter, Jul 3, 11:14pm
I would not drive the car until the transmission fluid has been changed with Honda-brand ATF. The trans and torque converter contain about 6 litres of ATF but only 2 litres will come out when you drain it. When you remove the drain plug be sure to remove all the metallic dust from the magnet. Refill with Honda-brand ATF only and drive it. If the fluid is still very dirty, drain it again and refill. If the slipping does not stop then an overhaul costing $2K to $3K is needed.

Honda auto trans are not a weak point. Honda owners (or previous owners) who don't change the ATF every 40,000km/2yrs as per the service schedule and don't top up low ATF oil levels are the weak point. How do you expect under-maintained cars to perform!

pandai, Jul 3, 11:29pm
Don't be quick to criticise Honda owners - the owners manuals for this car suggest that the fluid be changed at 120,000km or after 6 years.Honda service departments advise owners what needs doing and when, and the owners cough up.Though, it's hard talking them into flushing your transmission instead of pulling the drain plug and then topping it up.So one wonders.

nz2293, Jul 3, 11:32pm
dont back down to these key board warriors real life is a reality check away from a key board and a box of tissues

carkitter, Aug 26, 8:08am
120,000kms or 6yrs would be madness for multiplate clutches. How difficult is it to change oil and adjust a kickdown cable. I was very comfortable with the Honda service schedule I worked to as a Service Technician and I don't think you can just up and change the schedule just because euro cars have moved to 15K servicing. I work around premium euro cars of a certain brand which use a 15k service schedule and it is an open secret that they are not reliable at all, nor are they easy to work on. The 15k schedule is not an indicator of superior engineering but of the fact that half the car has to be disassembled just to do routine maintenance.