Are these Mitsy Galants any good ? V6 1800cc auto

rjgmjs, May 23, 6:58am
An elderly customer wants me to buy her car as she is not allowed to drive anymore. Naturally she has always said good things about her beloved Mitsy, how smooth the auto trans is/lots of power/always serviced on time/ low k's etc etc Problem is, as i understand, Mitsy's of this era, arent known for being all that reliable (to put it nicely), and the V6 1.8, i presume this combination is fairly rare. To be honest, the car itself is in exceptional condition, came into NZ from Japan around 2001. So what do you guys think! Oh by the way she is asking $3000.00 for it.
Cheers.

ringo2, May 23, 7:29am
Good cars actually and the 1800 V6 is not rare but a bit dear at $3000

franc123, May 23, 7:47am
Those little 6G12 motors are not a bad little unit IMO, one of the better and more enjoyable engines fitted to that model. Auto transmissions can be a problem if you need a replacement one, they can lose drive due to splines stripping inside the torque converter, while it is a trans out job it isn't too costly to fix, they are repairable. The rest of the car doesn't really have any nasty or costly habits.If its got good and complete service records, not just for basic engine oil and filters it could be worth a punt. You are far better off with that, I'm presuming its the 93-97 shape, one than themodel after wth the 1.8 GDI engine.

wimwom, May 23, 8:19am
6a12! They are 2 litre aren't they!

mrfxit, May 23, 8:24am
Range from 1.6 up to 3L depending on exact model
The smaller engines are 6A series including the 2.5 & the 3L are 6G series
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_6A1_engine.
Some were SOHC & some DOHC plus Mivec versions

mrfxit, May 23, 8:27am
It's the vr4 v6 turbo thats fairly rare & the 4WD version very rare.
About half had 4WS.

wimwom, May 23, 8:45am
6a11 is 1800 and 6a12 is 2 litre, well as far as i know.Is that wrong!

yogibearz, May 23, 8:48am
correct wimworm, 6a11 is 1800cc, 6a12 is 2000cc. They are both good engines. As mentioned above the autos are the weak link.

dasfi, May 23, 9:56am
what model is it, viento! i could be interested

franc123, May 23, 10:29am
No its correct, with the 6A13 being the 2.5 V6. I stated a code that doesn't exist, G is used for most other Mitsi petrol engines but not those ones :(

phillip.weston, May 23, 9:30pm
The 6A motors are a great motor but it's usually the things attached to them which go wrong such as distributors and transmissions. The only real weakness of a 6A are the pencil-thin rods but for a 6A11 and 6A12 SOHC it's not an issue. These engines generally don't get smokey with age unlike the older generation 6G engines. All 6A engines are 4-bolt mains bottom end with an enclosed valley and for a compact block are very sturdy indeed.

For some reason the transmissions on the 1.8 V6 does tend to crap out, usually with a total loss of drive. The ball joints on the front lower control arms often need replacing too.

rex, Sep 17, 3:35am
Hi got given a 1800 v6 motor have part of loam and computer looking at using it in a log splitter
What fuel pump do I need as didnt come with one and I gather any good auto electrician will be able to do a basic wiring job