Stupid question colour of BP 95 petrol

Page 1 / 2
shane038, Jun 13, 8:59pm
Yeah stupid question but does anyone know the colour of 95 octane bp petrol! I got some this am in my vehicle plus some in a container for the mower. It looks more like diesel, and smells a bit like it as well. When I dipped a stick into it then went and lit it it didnt ignite like ordinary petrol.no whoomp and burning more of a slow ignite. So now I'm worried that i have something not right in the tank.

kwaka5, Jun 13, 9:04pm
diesel and petrol smell,look and feel very different. If it looks like oil,smells like oil, and feels like oil, then it probably is. If you used the black dispenser at BP then you got diesel.

daryl14, Jun 13, 9:07pm
Diesel pump black, Petrol pump red.
Diesel fuel does smell different, and is more "oily" - it sticks to your fingers and clothes while petrol will evaporate off and won't feel oily.
Get yer finger in there.

shane038, Jun 13, 9:10pm
Definately used the yellow pump not the black one, There is no pink tinge to it it is kinda very light brown, was wondering if there has been a snafu when the tanker came and filled their tanks!

kwaka5, Jun 13, 9:11pm
Have a look at your receipt

richardmayes, Jun 13, 9:42pm
How's your vehicle running!

dr.doolittle, Jun 13, 10:17pm
He has a point.
I bought 10ltrs the other day (BP) in a clear container(naughty me) & it was a dirty brownish colour.
Previously it's been of a pink/redish tinge.
I didnt think much of it until now

sparkles_bc, Jun 14, 4:20am
Unless of of course you got mixed up between BP's Ultimate Diesel and Ultimate Petrol!
But even diesel wouldn't have a dirty colour to it, it's pretty transparent where as petrol is slightly pink

brucet3, Jun 14, 5:02am
Is your container used for 2 stroke!
in which case there could be traces of oil.

freedomaira320, Jun 14, 5:27am
You said you put some in your vehicle as well. Has your vehicle ground to a halt! Also, is the pump you used now closed with tape all over it and a bunch of worried looking BP staff working on it! If BP accidentally filled their tanks with diesel, both those questions would be answered with a yes.

shane.64, Jun 14, 5:27am
Yes I remember when 95 and 91was red .But now it looks like diesel a light oily brown

tuttyclan, Jun 14, 5:32am
The petrol companies add a dye into the petrol so they can tell which grade is which.
91 octane is light pink/red and 95 octane is light gold/brown and diesel is almost clear but frothy,not sure what colour 98 octane is though.

peril787b1, Jun 14, 11:19am
BP98 is yellow, almost the same as yellow powerade

supernova2, Jun 14, 11:34am
Who runs a mower on 95! and why!

pollymay, Jun 14, 12:33pm
It's the modern high compression that requires it

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff323/328FTW/Random/picture056.jpg

jkm, Jun 14, 6:44pm
Put some in the mower the other day just because thats what i had in the container. The old mower with briggs and stratton motor loved it, just seemed to run much smoother.

treachug, Jun 14, 7:12pm
Try 100 octane.mower runs even better than on 95 & smells great! Didnt cut the lawn any faster though.

thejazzpianoma, Jun 14, 8:20pm
I do!
Most of my reasoning is that small engines are often extra sensitive to old fuel. Because my mower can can sit for up to 3 months I go for high octane as much of the problem with small engines and old fuel is that the octane rating drops with storage. So. obviously if you start with a higher octane you finish with a higher octane.

The only exception is if for some reason I have to fill with Petrol from the Gull over the road. you won't get me using that mofo E10 biomuck in my small engines. or boat. or most of my cars which are not designed for it. THANKS Gull for buying up Rural stations and stocking them with fuel you get a subsidy for but is completely useless for rural applications!

I cringe every time I go past and see a line of boats filling up with a fuel completely unsuitable and downright dangerous for marine use. I especially like how you know better than the manufacturer of the vehicle when I query these problems.

This from someone who was once a big fan of Gull.

bellky, Jun 15, 2:36am
^It's the aromatics that go off in petrol though isn't it! The more aromatics to start with the staler the petrol later. Lol.

extrayda, Jun 15, 5:12am
It's the ethanol reacting with moisture in the air I thought!

extrayda, Jun 15, 5:14am
I have a gull handy to me, and used to go to gull all the time until they went bio.Now I don't touch it.
Crap, I agree 100% with Jazz, now I will have to buy a Multipla ;-)

_dwat_, Jun 15, 10:57am
I work at a shell station and the 91 is pink, the 95 is yellow and the diesel can be clear, green and apparently it can even be blue. with petrol you know it is by the smell and the way it evaporates rapidly, its the fumes that ignite not a liquid itself but with diesel its mostly the liquid that that is flammable and takes a very long time to evaporate. by the sounds of it you may have traces diesel mixed in, take it back, if they know they have messed up they will sort you out especially if you have the proof

supernova2, Jun 15, 11:14am
Welcome back Jazzz - I wondered where you had been.i see your point but I just use 91 in my B&S mower and it sits around for weeks- I'm lazy when it comes to lawns and it starts first pull.

granada, Jun 15, 9:39pm
I run my mower on 98. I buy 5 litres in a container, mow my lawns then empty the container into my bike. That way im never using stale fuel for my bike or mower.

skin1235, Jun 15, 11:15pm
Shane ( OP), put about a litre of it in a coke bottle or a clear bottle, with the lid on, shake the f==k out if , if it is diesel it will foam on the top and the foam will stay for a few seconds ( BP, Gas Alley, diesel is green coloured), if it is petrol you will be working hard to get a foam of any size ad it will collapse almost as fast as you stop shaking it