Changing a fuel filter-Ford Courier

brapbraprx7, Jun 12, 10:14pm
x2
Can anyone tell me how to change a fuel filter on a 1996 Ford Courier!

budgel, Jun 12, 11:31pm
Petrol or diesel!

I have a 1994 petrol model ( Mazda equivalent) and you just separate it from the fuel line and put the new one in.

brapbraprx7, Jun 12, 11:48pm
Diesel

jasongroves, Jun 12, 11:56pm
x1

mugenb20b, Jun 13, 12:10am
x1
1. Remove electrical connector from the top of the filter.
2. Remove both fuel hoses.
3. Remove two 12mm nuts.
4. Take the filter assembly to the vice (with soft jaws) and carefully clamp the aluminium housing so that you can unscrew the filter and not damage anything. Put a container under the vice so you don't spill diesel all over the floor.
5. Clamp the water trap in the vice and unscrew the filter from it.
6. Fit a new filter and reassemble everything in reverse order.
7. Fit the fuel supply hose to the filter only. (There are 'in' and 'out' pointers on the fuel pipe fittings).
8. Pump the bleeder 34000 times (just kidding, but you'll see what I mean)until the fuel comes out the outlet.
9. Refit the outlet hose.
10. Pump the plunger until it goes hard.
11. Start the engine and check for leaks.

brapbraprx7, Jun 13, 2:39am
Thanks for your help

Could changing the diesel filter help my problem of it not starting properly! Thought it was the glowplugs but its not.

jasongroves, Jun 13, 2:50am
What do you mean by not starting properly!
What year and engine!
How did you test the glow plugs!

brapbraprx7, Jun 13, 3:01am
I got them tested by a mechanic. 1996 Ford courier, 2.4, deisel.
It just takes a while to turn the engine over latly

thunderbolt, Jun 13, 3:23am
Have you checked the battery!

brapbraprx7, Jun 13, 4:33am
Yup the batterys fine

jasongroves, Jun 13, 5:08am
How was it checked!

ceebee2, Jun 13, 5:11am
If you mean cranking well but not firing then yes it could be. I had a customers one some time ago that developed this problem after a service. Took a while to discover it was the very small "O" ring seal on the filter that was letting in air.

mp3539, Jun 14, 6:15am
get the tappets adjusted beleive it or not makes a hell of a difference, they seem to tighten up making it hard to start for reasons unknown, most our utes down well over 300 kms now and still going strong.

mugenb20b, Jun 14, 6:20am
Reasons unknown! Tight tappets won't allow the valves to close fully which will cause a compression loss. Diesel engine = compression ignition.

mp3539, Jun 14, 6:22am
nice, made a huge difference cheers