Grand Vitara or Honda CRV help

Page 1 / 2
yabbies1, Jun 11, 10:41am
like the grand vitara for Height, cam chain, definate 4x4 .Don't like that you pay alot more for lower km.
Like the Honda CRV for Height, cheaper to buy lower km.Dont' like that it's cam belt and reviews say this can be very expensive.
Both would need to be 2000cc as we tow motor bikes a 4 cylinder don't want a V6.What are your thoughts how do they handle on the road etc

supernova2, Jun 11, 10:44am
I think that the vitara has a habit of eating the cam chains and thats expensive.Im sure more experienced that I will confirm or deny my thoughts.

andrea_w, Jun 11, 11:03am
I don't understand why everyone seems to have a phobia of buying a car with a cambelt. They (typically) need doing once every 100,000kms, it's not a "surprise" cost because you know it's coming, they aren't typically a job that will send an owner bankrupt either. Hell, there is a good chance you won't even need to replace the cambelt during the ownership of the car!

johnf_456, Jun 11, 11:07am
I agree unless its one of these euro that is 4 years and every 60,000km

ralphdog1, Jun 11, 11:18am
Cambelt on Mrs Dog's CRV, both times cost from memory less than $100 for the bits (belts, tensioners etc),and I had about 4 beers whilst my mechanic brother changed it, so tops less than 2 hours, and that included him drinking my beers too
Sound expensive!

i-n-horz, Jun 11, 11:21am
Grand Vitara great little wagons.Honda CRV! never owned one.

jmma, Jun 11, 11:25am
Depends how much the beers cost (o:

lusty9, Jun 11, 11:25am
Get a Subaru forester, altho the SUV's you speak of have 4x4 they will still get stuck in mud or wet grass but Subaru's won't as they have symetrical 4x4 meaning if one wheel loses traction power is put to 3 remaining wheels. whereas crv's or vitara's keep power to the wheel that has no traction. maybe go on youtube and have a look.

doctor_evil99, Jun 11, 11:30am
Hey what about a expensive Italian (Ferrari) . some need new belt every 3 years or 25,000km.and engine has to be dropped to get access to belt chamber!

ralphdog1, Jun 11, 11:32am
CRV, Mrs Dog has one. Purchased with 90k on it, now has 270k.
Bit thirsty, handles OK considering it's height. 4wd system is what I would call a "too late" system.
Other than normal regular maintenance has cost virtually nothing to keep on the road, and she has never had to walk. Have had to do a head gasket, as a consequence of a radiator leak and failure on the pilots part to watch the temperature gauge, can not blame Honda for that.
Have had it for about 8 years.

ralphdog1, Jun 11, 11:35am
In the grand scheme of things he was here on holiday so we would have been drinking them anyway!
Poor bugger, everytime he comes there is a cambelt or something else I consider it is better for him to do than me.

franc123, Jun 11, 12:10pm
Because it involves spending money on maintenance, remember that is a totally foreign concept to some people. Many expect to put a key in a hole and fuel in the back and have no other expenses.

slarty45, Jun 11, 5:47pm
the v6 had this problem, 4 pot no worries

slarty45, Jun 11, 5:54pm
While my GV 2.4 4cyl will get stuck easy in mud due to the orig road tyres the wet grass traction is awesome. No need to lock centre diff.
Probably something to do with the ESP & Traction Control.
Just quietly, it's not too bad in snow'n'ice either.

cfs, Jun 11, 8:09pm
I have a Grand Vitara V6 - been totally reliable - used it for hauling our bikes to trail rides and everyday runabout. Had no problems whatsoever. Dont need it now so I'm changing to an Outback!

mugenb20b, Jun 12, 6:05am
Get a later model CRV if you are worried about cambelts, the earlier 2 litre model can't tow shit anyway due to their weak trannies. The
advantage of a Vitara is that it's a proper 4WD, ie. it has a low range option and a ladder frame chassis, hence the price tag.

offrd1, Jun 12, 6:18am
Depends what you want to do.The Suzuki is far better off road,few small mods and they will almost go anywhere

ml6989, Jun 12, 9:17am
Can you give me his contact details! (Or is that against T/Me rules!) I would be happy to shout 4 beers to have my cambelt changed!

slarty45, Jun 12, 9:44am
The current model Grand Vitara will be the last proper Suzi 4x4 sadly.
The new one will be based on the next Kizashi, east west motor soft roader like the others.
Next Jimny going soft too.

mugenb20b, Jun 12, 9:49am
Bugger.

carclan, Jun 12, 10:31am
We just sold our V6 Grand Vitara with 247k on the clock. Never had the cam chains done in it to my knowledge and ran like a dream. The key to most things mechanical is servicing and quality lubricating oil.

ralphdog1, Jun 12, 10:40am
Would like to help, but there are two issues
1. The TM rules issue you have already identified
2. He does get me back in terms of wanting all manner of personal problems solved, I don't think you actually need the grief associated with what can be an onerous task like that. Ranges from how to point his caravan satellite dish in the correct direction through to having to advise him on how to catch fish.

yabbies1, Jun 13, 11:04pm
Thanks for your everyones advice think we will go for the suzuki .Cheers everyone

johnf_456, Jun 13, 11:10pm
Ouch, never touched one and don't intend on it lol.

dgriffnz, Jun 15, 10:31pm
We're going down to Holland's today to get the GV LTD. 1/3 deposit, the rest over two years, interest free.and four year servicing for nix. A great deal. I'm a Honda driver through and through, but the Suzuki deal has been recommended to me by several trusted colleagues and friends, and it's so much more economical than a new Honda SUV.