Toyota Corolla 1998 - a question

lyndyhopper, Jun 11, 4:12am
Can anyone tell me the function of the switch assembly please! It was removed from above the cylinder where the key the goes in.I was told this doesn't hinder thestarting of the car.Please post your thoughts.

kazbanz, Jun 11, 5:40am
Im guessing the switch might be the hazard light switch

mugenb20b, Jun 11, 6:41am
Why! What happened exactly!

lyndyhopper, Jun 12, 2:14am
I was having trouble starting the car.The car would start sometimes and others it didn't. so the covering around the steering wheel were taken off.My dad removed this particular piece - the switch assembly thinking it might need repairing.he took it down to the toyota dealer who instead looked at my car key said it was very worn, so gave dad the original key number.The new key works a dream, but now I'm a little worried about this peice that isn't back on the column.The dealer said it's not necessary for the actual starting of the car.

gadgit3, Jun 12, 3:07am
When you open the door leave it open and put the key into the ign barrel do you get a beep beep beep coming from the dash! if not then the switch is just to switch the beeper on. So with it removed you will now not have to hear the beeper when you leave the keys in the car and open the door.

lyndyhopper, Jun 12, 11:40am
thank you for that.I will try it out tomorrow.

mugenb20b, Jun 13, 12:22am
Dimmer switch for your dash lights.

gadgit3, Jun 13, 12:35am
If that was removed then there would no longer be any tail lamps, park lamps and dash lights. As all the light system works through it. If it even has one fitted as only the GLX had dash dimming fuction switch. And they are fitted to right hand side of the combo metre not on the ign barell

lyndyhopper, Jun 13, 2:38am
Thank-you.