Toyota Rav 4 or Honda CRV?

teddy481, Jul 14, 4:55am
I am looking at upgrading my car and have been looking at these 2 types! I would like a Toyota Rav 4 5 door and the same with the honda. 5 door.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

mugenb20b, Jul 14, 5:01am
Are we talking about the mid 90's models!

cuda.340, Jul 14, 5:07am
x1
if you're a idiot driver on our roads, buy the RAV4, it seems to attract the worse drivers with bad skills from what i can see.

teddy481, Jul 14, 5:10am
Prefably yes

teddy481, Jul 14, 5:10am
I aint an idiot driver. Have never had an accident and am very very careful everytime im in the car

franc123, Jul 14, 5:10am
Theres been several generations of both, what are we upgrading from and to! Can't provide much of an answer based on that.

teddy481, Jul 14, 5:18am
Currently i have a nissan primera, and a toyota starlet and want something bigger and higher off the ground

flack88, Jul 14, 5:39am
Cuda ,CRVs run first equal.

cuda.340, Jul 14, 5:41am
lmao thanks for the update flack

mugenb20b, Jul 14, 5:49am
If that's the case, you are not really upgrading as both of these vehicles are getting old now and cost a fortune for what they are. But, anyway, Toyota is a bit stronger and more reliable, however, I like the CRV as I find it more comfortable.

Make sure there's no clunking noises when test driving the ones you'll be looking at, and try and get the ones that come with a service history. It would also be advisable to get the vehicles checked out by your trusted mechanic before handing over any money.

msigg, Jul 14, 5:56am
The crv is slightly cheaper, the motor is one of the best ,equal to the toyota, but the toyota has a better transmission. with both of them you need to make sure the trans have been serviced and that the anti corrosion fluid has been change regulary. both engine will do a huge milage if looked after.

skyblue17, Jul 14, 6:32am
Thats cos they are all doing the inner thigh jiggle

grangies, Jul 14, 6:42am
Higher off the ground to get into, or higher off the ground for clearance over terrain!

msigg, Jul 14, 8:10am
Yes they are much easier to get into.

carkitter, Jul 14, 8:28am
CRV is pretty bullet proof but as above check for lack of maintenance of auto trans and cooling system. Built quality is excellent as are the brakes. Early models of the first generation where actually better specced than the facelifted first gen models. CRV is a part-time 4WD vehicle - it drives around in FWD and brings in the rear wheels when it detects wheelspin. The system was a little slow acting and crude but it does work and there are significant benefits for quietness and fuel economy over a full time AWD system of the same era.
CRV is more sought after than 1st gen RAV4 and has better resale value.

carkitter, Jul 14, 8:28am
CRV is pretty bullet proof but as above check for lack of maintenance of auto trans and cooling system. Built quality is excellent as are the brakes. Early models of the first generation where actually better specced than the facelifted first gen models. CRV is a part-time 4WD vehicle - it drives around in FWD and brings in the rear wheels when it detects wheelspin. The system is more for off-road use than aiding onroad traction and as such was a little slow acting and crude, but it does work and there are significant benefits for quietness and fuel economy over a full time AWD system of the same era.
CRV is more sought after than 1st gen RAV4 and has better resale value.

ralphdog1, Jul 14, 9:03am
Are you prepared for the increased petrol bill compared with what you are driving now!
And yes, we have one (wife's), bought with 90k, now had 275k. BP loves her.

kazbanz, Jul 14, 11:00pm
For the money you WILL pay for a decent RAV or CRV you could buy a much later model/more economical car that has a MUCH higher seat height than your current cars.
Even if it is as much as $2000 dearer that the RAV/CRV you will make that up in a year or two's petrol costs.

carclan, Jul 15, 12:41am
None on the above, Suzuki Vitara is about the best in this region.

mottly, Jul 15, 2:24am
always go for a toyota imo

stevexc, Jul 15, 4:53am
I currently own a RAV4.I've owned a Nissan Primera in the past.Unless your Nissan Primera is a total pile of junk then going to a RAV4 will be a downgrade in terms of ride quality, performance, road noise etc.

I can understand wanting a RAV4 in this city though with all it's munted roads and yearly snowstorms.

teddy481, Jul 17, 4:01am
The car itself is fine, but the ks are getting up in it. Has over 230,000 on the clock.

mottly, Jul 17, 4:03am
Only just 'run in' then :)

floscey, Jul 17, 4:16am
i sell more head gaskets for the honda b20b than i do for the 3sfe toyota .and theres a heap more 3sfe engines on the road. So by my thinking the toyota is the better engine.