Lowering springs for 1996 vs holden question

becsr1, Jul 12, 7:16am
have found a set of lowering springs out of a vn holden , owner has told me they will fit but im unsure as my holden has irssuspension. does this mater and does anyone no if they will fit thanks

attitudedesignz, Jul 12, 7:18am
What kind of VN, i think Calais were IRS but not 100%. otherwise they won't fit.

treachug, Jul 12, 7:18am
Front springs should be ok but rear springs totally different between live axle & IRS axle set-ups.
VN were all live axle (solid tubes) whereas first IRS was introduced on VP's.
Live axle springs are same diameter all the way, IRS have tapered ends & way way shorter

becsr1, Jul 12, 7:20am
okay awesome thanks for that , maybe best just to buy a new set then i no they be right .

neville48, Jul 12, 9:31am
I had king springs in my vr ss and because there is so much available movement, when it was jacked up at WOF time there was so much travel in the independant axle that the springs would drop out so watch out for that one. I told the wof man that if my car was up that high I would have a lot more to worry about than springs so I used to get away with it but who knows now.

becsr1, Jul 12, 9:38am
okay thatsgood thing to no also thanks , maybe shortened shocks would help with that maybe !

berg, Jul 12, 8:24pm
Won't get away with that now as springs must remain captive throughout the entire suspension travel. Have seen Commodores loose cut springs when going over large humps in the road (stopbank) at speed. Made quite a mess. Be wary going too low with Kings as they tend to sag badly after a period of time. Also going too low makes it hard to get the rear wheel alignment right causing premature wear on the inner tyre shoulders. Best option in my humble opinion (worked for Holden for 13 years) is to go for the factory FE2 suspension package as fitted to SS and HSV Commodores which will lower and stiffen but maintain driveability and reliability