1977 Honda XL 75

yamahagore, Jul 10, 9:08pm
Has anyone got an idea what this would be worth !
1400 kms on clock and is in excellent condition .
It prob has not been going for years but would not be an issue .

kazbanz, Jul 10, 9:14pm
The trouble is that even though its a darn good little learner bike for kids all that rubbish out of china is competing with it.
IMO its about worth $500

motorboy2011, Jul 10, 9:45pm
$1200- $2500 for a minter I recon.

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 10, 9:45pm
Dreeeeeam'n!

countrypete, Jul 10, 10:01pm
What it's worth, and what it might fetch if it's in mint condition are two different things.To the right buyer, who once had one as a kid, and now has a 14 year old soninto bikes, the nostalgia factor would tend to push up the price.Maybe not $2500, but certainly over $1,000 as an auction start price.

sifty, Jul 10, 10:04pm
i would far rather have a 70's Honda than a whiz-bang Chinese throw-away. But I am capable of restoring anything, can find parts for most things Honda, and enjoy the process.

Other people will have different values.

motorboy2011, Jul 10, 10:23pm
I stand by the price I gave. You WONT sell it to just anyone, likely buyer will be a dad that knows his bikes and wants a decent quality bike for his kid, or someone who sold their first bike and wishes they never did. Id pref a 77 xl over a 2012 Chinese peice of junk if I were buying for my kid.

net_oz, Jul 10, 10:51pm
Had one of those bikes and had a great run with it. I would give you $1200 for it no worries. The only problem was the pissy 1/4" adjusters on the back wheel.

kazbanz, Jul 10, 11:52pm
I look at it from a retailers prospective.
At $1200.00 You are smack bang in the JR80,PW80 even DRZ110/KLX110
bracket.
At the other end you arein the CRF80 or CRF100 (or the yamaha badged versions) even husky kind of bracketand then theres the brand new cheap stuff out of china as well
Don't get me wrong the XL is a great wee bike but with limited apeal at the price you talk about.

countrypete, Jul 11, 1:29am
Yeah, you're right Kazbanz, but you are ignoring the classic or nostalgia factor.OK maybe it's not a classic really, but the sort of person who would buy this is probably different to someone buying a DR-Z110, CRF100 etc.I see you didn't buy the SV650!

kazbanz, Jul 11, 1:36am
yea pete-Nick told me something that kinda put me off it.
Anyhoo theres only one way to see what the bike is worth and thats to list it I guess. To ME its worth $500 -Ie I would wright a cheque for that much for it.
I guess thats the difference.-will motorboy wright as cheque for $2500 to own it!
Not having a go but thats the basis I value something at in this situation. What would I actually pay if its presented to me to buy.
I hear it all the time-Ohh my aunty sue,mechanic,plumer et al reckon its worth XXXX but not one of em is pulling cash from pocket to buy and when presses would only actually pay half that -if at all

sifty, Jul 11, 1:43am
Exactly, for $2500, I would be expecting a little more than a 1970's honda 75.

motorboy2011, Jul 11, 2:02am
Sadly i cant buy it, I have a near mint 1980 xr200a sitting here for my child for when he decides its bike time.

kazbanz, Jul 11, 3:10am
but would you pull 2500 sheikels outa your pocket to buy it!
-Hey how old is your lad!

countrypete, Jul 11, 4:33am
I had one of those in the '80's.Thought it was the bee's knees!It probably was after my Motorsport 250.The difference between a bike of the 80's era and today is simply stunning - they're so much easier to ride these days.

motorboy2011, Jul 11, 4:41am
have to agree there, go from the old twin shock to a mono shock, even an old mono shock and the difference is huge!

kazbanz, Jul 11, 4:44am
Pity you aint my neck of the woods. I could loan you a PW80 or a drz110 for him to try out (no clutch to play with)

yamahagore, Jul 11, 8:35pm
Thanks for comments
I think this bike is more for a collector .It is an old bike that is in showroom condition with a small amount of work .You could give it to a child for a kids bike but its probably a bit good for that .

kazbanz, Jul 11, 9:08pm
so why not put in the smallamount of work and advertise it as such!
If a collectors bike I doubt TM is the place to sell it for "collector" type pricing.