Honda Ragafa 5 cyl

stevo2, Jul 7, 6:38am
Son in law is after a car up to $3k in Tauranga. He found a Honda Ragafa 5 cylinder auto done 200,000km or a Mazda Famila 5 spd done 250,000km both at $2k or less.
What's everyones thoughts on these!
Also wants to look at a Suzuki Cultus done 200,000km at $3k

mugenb20b, Jul 7, 6:57am
I'd give the Rafaga a miss, although, they do go very well. Mazda, done too many k's for my liking. Suzuki is an OK car, but very tinny and basic.

A car up to $3k, I'd be looking at Honda Civics, Nissan Pulsars or Sunny, Toyota Starlets, Hyundai Accents or Lantras, etc.

weedude1, Jul 7, 12:15pm
i have two rafaga one manual and one auto. the auto one we drove it from dunedin to rotorua and back and never missed a bet they r a very nice driving car.

franc123, Jul 7, 9:54pm
Familia would be the safest bet there assuming its a BH series or newer, you would only buy a Rafaga if it was a super tidy one with evidence of good service, or if you could afford to walk away from it when something major breaks, most examples are pretty old and grumpy by now. $3k is pretty steep for a Cultus of any description.

stevo2, Jul 7, 9:57pm
Going for a look in a few minutes, What about a D4 Nadia!

mugenb20b, Jul 7, 10:03pm
D4 is Toyota's equivalent to Mitsi's GDi. I have no experience with Nadias, but I do know that early Toyota D4 motors did have problems with intakes getting carboned up. The problem is time consuming to remedy (ie. clean up), but once done, should be good for another 100 000 kms.

fiatracer, Jul 8, 2:36am
Rafaga is quite a nice car, and they go quite well if a 2.5, but I've heard bad things about the transmissions

mugenb20b, Jul 8, 6:13am
Nice. Good, solid and reliable.

stevo2, Jul 8, 6:41am
My thoughts exactly and good on them for choosing reliable over a young persons car.

tonijo, Jul 8, 6:48am
what bad things!I am curious because I have a Rafaga, would be good to know what problems to look out for.It's the 2 litre model, but has plenty of get up and go.Nice smooth ride too.

tgray, Jul 8, 6:53am
Excellent choice!
The only one that won't agree is Jazzpianodude because you didn't buy a Fiat.
Well done.

carmedic, Jul 8, 9:08pm
Lol, yes a Fiat Marea Weekend would be a much better choice!