Mitsubishi Chariot Grandis.Any good?

muzza3, Jul 7, 4:55am
Thinking of buying one as a work vehicle, are there any things to look for , are they reliable, what problems do they have.TIAMuzza3

andy61, Jul 7, 6:20am
Dont do it.Avoid buying a car with 3 diamonds on the front, have you not noticed its always a Mitsi that blows blue smoke at the traffic lights! They love to burn lots of oil.Better cars out there.

mugenb20b, Jul 7, 6:53am
What year!

trevenco, Jul 7, 9:27am
Toyota or Honda. Avoid Mitsi like a deathly illness!

gunhand, Jul 7, 9:30am
Why! I know shit loads of people who have or have had Mitsi's with no more problems (possably less) than any other car.Was this something your uncles brothers sister suggested or you just going with what all the others say with no real basis!

franc123, Jul 7, 10:45am
You have to be more careful about what you buy, pre 2000 GDI versions should be avoided, likewise anything else that hasn't had at least reasonable servicing, especially of the auto and cooling system. Don't pay too much for them either as resale isn't wonderful.

the-saint1, Jul 7, 12:13pm
M echanics
I nvariably
T ouch
S tuff
U nder
B onnets
I gnoring
S pecific
H andbook
I nstructions

muzza3, Jul 7, 10:16pm
Its a 98 with a heap of work done to the motor, $2800 .*brand new full service and engine flush
*brand new trans flush and filter
*brand new cambelt and waterpupm
*brand new seals
*brand new sparkplugs
just spend $2800 dollar to fix the engine smoking,(full rebuild the engine ,done the headgasket,and camblet waterpump)can show u all the invoice

Does this change anyones mind

mugenb20b, Jul 7, 10:18pm
I'd pay a bit more and get a Toyota Ipsum.

kazbanz, Jul 7, 11:18pm
Muzza--the question is WHY did all thsat work need doing and how soon will it be needed again!

phillip.weston, Jul 8, 12:08am
the reason those 4G64 GDI engines smoke is because the oil drain holes in the oil control ring grooves block up easily (lack of servicing usually). You can avoid this happening again by enlargening the holes and fitting new rings and honing the bores. I would imagine this is what was done when the engine was rebuilt. The Sirius family of engines (4G61, 62, 63, 64, 67 etc) have hard bores and soft rings and are prone to smoking at higher milage, however the 4G64 GDI seems to be the worst of the lot. It really doesn't help that the GDI system recycles a whole lot of exhaust gasses back into the intake which just compounds the problem by coating the walls of the inlet manifold and inlet ports with gunk and ends up being a restriction for air flow and the engine runs rich which then further degrades the piston ring sealing abilities.

muzza3, Jul 8, 4:04am
I think its off the list ,thanks for the input.

andy61, Jul 8, 5:59am
And why are they selling after spending all that money! Has the repairs failed!Is it still drinking oil or is the transmission about to go!

franc123, Jul 8, 7:02am
Probably both, you need to be making sure you are getting a tiptronic and not a sliptronic or a clunktronic.