Petrol in a diesel! Help!

gamerman_64, Jun 26, 7:03am
My mates at a gas station right now - stuck half a litre of petrol in his diesel and needs to know, will it be alright just to fill it up with Diesel!

Its a 2002 Golf TDi

firemansgirl, Jun 26, 7:05am
Only half a litre! I've done that before and it didn't cause any problems, although it was in a Hilux.

toot5, Jun 26, 7:05am
i done it and the ute still working years later

gamerman_64, Jun 26, 7:06am
Haha thanks guys

johnf_456, Jun 26, 7:16am
That is not much at all, just fill it to the brim with diesel to dilute it.

johnf_456, Jun 26, 7:16am
Fletch and vaughan company car explosion eh of the nissan s cargo. Hardly a vw :P

russ18, Jun 26, 7:17am
Just makes for a good winter diesel mix.

bad_boy_1, Jun 26, 7:18am
lol that was a nissans cargo not a vw

morrisman1, Jun 26, 7:23am
Just half a litre so brim the tank and get on with your journey. More than a couple litres in a 60L tank and Id be worrying. Older diesels are a bit more accepting of being misfuelled but not this commonrail stuff

mrfxit, Jun 26, 7:32am
Agreed, as long as it WAS ONLY 500ml, then diluting it on a full tank should be fine.
just take it easy until you get down to half a tank & top up to full again.
No towing, fast driving etc & it should be fine.

Yea the older indirect injection diesels are pretty forgiving of fuel mix's, but as mentioned above, the direct injection systems are not very happy about contamination of fuel & the late jappa's are even harder to please then the eruo's

jason18, Jun 26, 9:03am
Haha I was taking the piss

nzshooter01, Jun 28, 5:52am
few months back, put maybe1/3 petrol in my 1990 bighorn, filled it to the top with diesel and went as good as gold, still own vehical now, still going good as

bwg11, Jun 28, 7:08am
Yes. 10 - 15% in pre-common rail diesels seems to have no ill effects.

intrade, Jun 28, 7:31am
half a liter is ok tell him to add chemtech diesel additive if he not already does as the normal diesel is not sufficient in lubricating correctly either. Probably a good dose of chemtech with the diesel for this tank then as recommended on bottle . supersheep auto sell chemtech cheap 34$ 1L treates 1000liter fuel

carclan, Jun 28, 10:58am
My Volkswagen golf handbook said do mix in concentrations greater than 25% petrol to diesel.

morrisman1, Jun 28, 11:01am
a lady at work had a pug 306 HDi until not long ago. She accidentally put petrol in it and didnt realise until she got the bill for the fuel card

When she crashed it, it was not far from clicking over 500,000km

bad_boy_1, Jun 28, 11:05am
my dad had petrol diesiel in his car lol too much of a mix and it farted like hell

gusthe1, Jun 28, 8:09pm
Great. Now I can stop blaming the dog and just say "must be the petrol in my diesel".

gman35, Jun 28, 8:30pm
Maybe he should now buy a tractor so he can't confuse it with something shaped like a car which should only ever ever have petrol in it !. Yes yes diesels are getting better everyday they say , but only possibly very maybe unless it is a very modern Jag or BMW you still wouldn't. And even if I did I would still push it behind a high wall before starting it from cold , and definetly with sunglasses and a scarf on.

mrfxit, Jun 28, 8:35pm
The downside of better tech for diesels is that they are increasingly less tolerant of mistakes & often with fatal results.