Unbolted head stud at auto electricians!

Page 1 / 2
nzoomed, Jul 15, 1:01am
I had my car in at the auto electricians, and had a new earthing strap to the engine, what did they go and do but undo a head stud nut to attach the cable to!
I hope they torqued it down correctly, which i highly doubt they did, is it safe enough to do so! there were plenty of other places on the engine it could have been done to. I may just re-tourque it myself.

andy61, Jul 15, 1:03am
At least check the torque.Dont see what the problem is.A stormin a teacup!

dent, Jul 15, 1:03am
Seems a very odd thing to do. As you say plenty of other places to attach to without disturbing a head stud. I personally wouldnt even think of using a head stud.

superdave0_13, Jul 15, 1:08am
Did the back of the workshop have their racecar in it or some old rust bucket!

bellky, Jul 15, 1:52am
That is shockingly bad.

the-lada-dude, Jul 15, 1:54am
with ally heads !these guys have to be nuts.have you run the engine b4 checking torque !and the car is a .!

johnf_456, Jul 15, 2:41am
what's that got to do with it.

superdave0_13, Jul 15, 3:04am
Yes we have concluded that if there is a race car present it would be fair to assume that they're generally decent, helpful people who race thanks to business success due to a decent reputation in the industry.

Now if there is not a race car present this does not automatically mean that they are dodgy as they could be using their hard earned cash on more important things such as an MTA membership, a Boat, a Bach and a Lamborghini plus a $1000 a week Coke habit.

johnf_456, Jul 15, 3:06am
Hilarious

sw20, Jul 15, 3:13am
I go to this fella who has this Zephyr in bits in the workshop. He seems ok. Last time I was there, he had about three Frenchies on the go. Poor bastard must be patient.

tonyrockyhorror, Jul 15, 3:43am
Photo req'd.

nzoomed, Jul 15, 4:10am
yeah ill put a photo up, i was surprised, as i thought they had replaced the old one, its a cast iron head, so not as cruical as alloy heads, but still, not overly professional, i only lifted the bonnet up to check what they had done yesterday. I had been driving it for a couple of days after getting it back without knowing.

bigfatmat1, Jul 15, 4:35am
must be old to have an exposed head stud I cannot remember the last time i worked on a car with a exposed head stud. In fact I can not even name a vehicle that has a exposed head stud old cars are not my forte though

kazbanz, Jul 15, 4:44am
Are you sure its a head stud!

unbeatabull, Jul 15, 4:49am
My bet is its either a bolt for the rocker cover or one of the studs coming out of the head to support an alternator or lifting hook etc.

brokebloke1, Jul 15, 6:16am
The holden 202 head has 9 headbolts that some idiot coulod undo and put a earth strap on to, these are the ones not under the rocker cover

phillip.weston, Jul 15, 6:19am
Plenty of OHC engines have exposed head studs - Opel Family II OHC engines which were in Camiras, Vectras, Commodores etc had all head studs exposed. My Cressida with the DOHC 2.8L IL6 has all head studs exposed, as do SOHC S and C series engines. Many diesels have exposed head studs due to many of the cylinder heads being offset on to one side over the combustion chamber. Don't forget many V8s either.

bigfatmat1, Jul 15, 7:06am
did not say there wasn't any just that they are few and far between. and old especially with cast iron head.

supernova2, Jul 15, 10:10am
I'm sure I've seen exactly that done ex factory on something.Only they used a second nut on top of the head nut.Old Humber maybe!

johnf_456, Jul 15, 10:12am
Do you only work on a limited range of cars or something!

nzoomed, Jul 15, 10:51am
Yep, im very familiar with this engine, its an MGB 1800 engine.

And yes there are alot of modern cars that still have exposed head studs, although not as common nowdays.

supernova2, Jul 15, 10:53am
Why did they not just put the new cable where the old one was!

nzoomed, Jul 15, 10:28pm
Thats what i want to know, its fixed the problem what they done, but all that was needed was to replace the old one, or else run it down to the starter motor with only a slightly longer cable.

fordkiwi27, Jul 15, 10:38pm
well what sort of car and where is the pic!

kazbanz, Jul 15, 10:51pm
I wonder why they diddn't just "double nut" it (cant think of the propper term)