Spray paint and petrol

Page 1 / 2
motorboy2011, Jun 17, 5:23am
is there a way to stop spray paint running if petrol is spilled on it! wanting to spray paint a metal motorbike tank

gunhand, Jun 17, 5:25am
Yes, use a quality system to start with and wipe asap if fuel does get on it.
By that I mean a colour with hardner or clear over a base colour with hardner.

neville48, Jun 17, 5:25am
dont spill petrol on it till after it has gone hard !

motorboy2011, Jun 17, 5:32am
I thought that too but the lid a painted a few days ago quickly turned sticky with petrol on it today

attitudedesignz, Jun 17, 5:42am
Hmmm, more details on that one please.

nzeva, Jun 17, 5:47am
Would powder coating work better!

attitudedesignz, Jun 17, 5:49am
Possibly, until ya get a chip then ya powder coat is sh1t. Can't touch it up.

gunhand, Jun 17, 5:55am
Your paintng with some kind of un hardend paint by chance!

attitudedesignz, Jun 17, 5:58am
Couple of day old lacquer i'd say. Petrol loves that.

motorboy2011, Jun 17, 6:28am
yeah just the typical in a can paint. so if its let go totally hard, ie a few weeks, its should not run with the odd paint spill on it! wonder if the mrs will let me chuck it in the oven for a bit!

attitudedesignz, Jun 17, 6:54am
Huh!

gunhand, Jun 17, 7:02am
Come on man, "that paint in a can". You know the stuff.Its the opposite of the paint that dosnt come in a can.
And if dosnt come in a can it could come in a plastic pale, and thats a worry. Mind you they sell house paint in cans too.

motorboy2011, Jun 17, 7:09am
the shit that rattles when you shake it and kids sniff. oh and its red. specific enough!

attitudedesignz, Jun 17, 7:09am
Yeah i got it now. Had me stumped tho' cos i've got paint in tins, drums, peanut butter jars and yogurt containers.

I know EXACTLY which paint he's talking bout now.

attitudedesignz, Jun 17, 7:11am
Nope.

Now go read the AEROSOL can and see if it says "Acrylic lacquer" or "enamel".

gunhand, Jun 17, 7:13am
You get the results you pay for Im afraid. There are very good reasons Motorcycle manufactures dont use spray cans, thats just one of them.
You have to use a 2pk system if you want some sort of protection against petrol. Even a good single pk wont stand up to for long if not wiped off immediately

gammelvind, Jun 17, 7:16am
Ok so now motorboy has narrowed it down to a rattle can, so it could be spraying enamel, fast dry enamel, laquer, custom filled rattle can with base coat, or the new two pack rattle can. Oh being red it could be PA10

attitudedesignz, Jun 17, 7:22am
I think he may think we're being mean and not giving him "the" answer he wants hehe.

gunhand, Jun 17, 7:24am
Theres a 2pk rattle can! or you takin the piss.

gunhand, Jun 17, 7:24am
I givin it 3 times, or at least 2.

attitudedesignz, Jun 17, 7:25am
Ya are kidding aye.please tell me ya are.

The lowriding pants cap sideways brigade will have a great time now.

"Check it out bro', i gots the mean as 2 pack bro'"

gammelvind, Jun 17, 7:32am
Nope no piss be taken lol. It is a can that has a big button on the bottom, you fill it as usual with the paint when time to use you push the knob in the bottom and the hardner is released, shake and you have two pack in a can. Don't try to use it the next day though.
We experimented with these, the cost worked out about $40 a can, bit expensive we thought for the retail market. So we trialed putting mixed 2K in an ordinary rattle can, it worked well and the can was good for 48 hours, and half the price.

gunhand, Jun 17, 7:35am
Well bugger me with a brick.

gammelvind, Jun 17, 7:36am
Learn something everyday huh!

gunhand, Jun 17, 7:38am
Sure do.