Hilux speedo switching

Page 1 / 3
superx_tom1, Jun 17, 1:46am
what about a 2001 model sr5 hilux,that wouldlnt be to new to switch would it!. it lives on the farm,

flack88, Jun 17, 2:31am
Their is alot of ways to do it,but i wouldnt be saying it on here with all the hiway patrol lovers and Police INFORMERS,good on anyone that gets away with ,the govment basturds are bandits anyway.

martin11, Jun 17, 2:50am
Apparently if you get caught with the wiring altered to stop the mileage going up there is a very heavy fine and they LTSA then estimate what they think you should have paid back to when they estimate the mod was done . A mate of mine bought a vehicle that when he got it serviced for a fault at the agents just after he bought it they found the alteration and lucky for him the ltsa worked out it was the previous owner and it ended up costing the previous ownerquite a few thousands ,in unpaid road tax

frytime, Jun 17, 3:05am
x3
don't know if you have driven from kapiti to Wellington lately, but in paekakariki ltnz have just layed 2 patches of hot mix about 200m each. they are more like roller coasters than flat road. this is why people disconnect speedo

mdallas, Sep 28, 11:05am
i dont care about paying ruc's in my hilux but have always been curious, how would you know how fast you"re going! do gps things tell you now days

owene, Sep 28, 11:28am
Will also shag up the ABS operations. The spedo memory and the ECU memory won't match and the wrong speed data will get computed and fed to the ABS which will also get upset. It's all become some complex now that you need a main dealer to reset it.

stacie_nz, Sep 28, 11:33am
x1
i did it on my van

r15, Sep 28, 1:45pm
x2
There are a lot of people with no idea here. I have seen a lot of speedometer switches and the only ones ive seen any issues at all on was on both supercustom 3 litre turbo hiace and on a nee shape hiace. Both showed the engine light above 80k but no other side effects reported by the owners.Maybe some of the new new stuff would cause problems though

pup2, Sep 28, 7:53pm
x1
Get people asking about this all the time down here. Why would i want to help someone get away with paying tax. Everyone complains about the state of our roads, but a select few feel they are above paying towards them and the rest of us should. Other funny thing is, when someone who has a switch looks into buying another 4wd, the thing they get hooked up on.are the k's right as they don't want to be ripped. they don't mention to the people who brought their old one about the switch though.

pdc1, Sep 29, 5:04am
x1
you won't want to go near Nelson/ Tasman either. It's common policy for the police to check annual mileage of a diesel vehicle, and they start asking alot of questions if it hasn't done the average annual mileage. Couple of charges recently have been successful, and in both these cases the vehicles have be switched and have been still clocking up distances, of a few thousand a year.

mdallas, Sep 29, 5:48am
trader 84 ive never done it and wouldnt but surely a 93 hilux would have no issues! reckon youd just unscrew it on the gearbox. my boss pays my ruc and diesel and helps out on maintaining it etc. just get a job with my lovely boss

frytime, Sep 29, 6:20am
x2
can be switched. the speedo cluster in the hilux also acts as a 'rectifyer' it changes the speed pluse voltage before it goes to the ecu so can't be just bypassed. last time i drove a hilux with speedo off it was down on power slightly (10% ish).

could you wire in 2nd speedo and just switch the one in the dash!

owene, Sep 29, 6:24am
If you're trying to evade ruc then you're a bad bugga. Is that the real reason!

stevo2, Sep 29, 6:51am
Yeah, I work with 2 guys that have their older utes switched.

bigfatmat1, Sep 29, 9:07am
x7
Yes it can be done it is relatively simple job. you can separate the odo from the speedo and put a switch in there your speedo and ecu will function as per normal but odo will be on a switch This is as much info AS I will pass on

mdallas, Sep 29, 9:12am
i dont think it would be worth the fine! isnt it 10k or something! thats a bit. ive heard of guys getting away with it but surely mr police man is wising up to it somehow

eddienz, Oct 27, 9:45pm
x3
then if u are using it for work and claiming fuel as an exp,tryto explane fuel cost ver's ruc to IRD.,

crzyhrse, Oct 27, 9:53pm
x1
It's a heavy fuel user!

Besides, just don't claim all the fuel and don't do no kms. What you save in RUCs will more than compensate for the 30% you get back on fuel.

jimjonesy, Oct 28, 12:07am
x1
Most importers do it.

mdallas, Oct 28, 9:27am
x1
this is true

fryan1962, Oct 28, 10:10am
Yes my Garman has speed reading more accurate than my speedo

r15, Oct 28, 10:16am
evidence to support this claim!

zephyrheaven, Oct 28, 5:47pm
Crap
Look at my hilux for instance, done 507,000kms - was doing about 1500km a week before I bought it - now its lucky to do 50km a week - so youre saying on the assumption of the cop I am dodging RUC! It has 20,000kms left to run by the way

trader_84, Oct 28, 6:54pm
x1
The cops in PN carry out roadside checks in PN specifically to check that your RUC is current on diesel vehicles. They look at the odometer reading and compare it to what is displayed on your sticker. I wouldn't put it past them that if they thought there was something untoward re your odometer - they'd get you to drive a certain distance up the road to where another one would be waiting to check if it wound over. It would look a little suspect if you stopped halfway between both cop stops to fiddle under the car in the gearbox vicinity, lol!

johnf_456, Oct 28, 9:12pm
Yeah right mean while genuine users pay high prices for some that like to rip the system off.