Truck wheelnuts to hard to undo

Page 1 / 2
etimret, Jul 30, 9:10am
Any ideas on removing truck wheelnuts that are tight as.
Flat tire problem.
Its way out in the sticks so town is outa the question.
Ive tryed a 1.5 m long bar on the socket and i can only get a few creaks outa them.
Any help even stupid ideas are welcome

Thanks

hrt, Jul 30, 9:12am
Are they all right hand thread! Bar and jump on it, usually the only way unless you have a monster rattle gun. How big a truck are we talking! Using 3/4 gear!

steve312, Jul 30, 9:12am
They aren't left hand thread are they, and you have actually been trying to tighten them!

40wav, Jul 30, 9:18am
Yeah, try undoing anti-clockwise on both sides of the truck. If one side comes loose, the other side is likey clockwise off.

etimret, Jul 30, 9:20am
Hi If they are left hand thread then im tightening them. But i have no idea . So do trucks have left hand thread wheelnuts!4500 tare wieght

steve312, Jul 30, 9:22am
Help us out a bit.

What sort of truck!

And yes, plenty of them have left hand thread wheel nuts on one side.

etimret, Jul 30, 9:22am
Isuzu 1982 sbr 4 wheeler

NZTools, Jul 30, 9:23am
Left hand side, left hand thread. Right hand side (drivers side) right hand thread.

steve312, Jul 30, 9:24am
x1
Yes.Definitely LH thread on one side.Check the centre of the wheel stud, LH thread could have an "L" stamped in the end of it.Not all of them have the stud marked though.

scoobeey, Jul 30, 9:25am
x1
use a bar inside the other bar (more leverage:):)

scoobeey, Jul 30, 9:26am
sorry outside the other bar lol

v8_mopar, Jul 30, 9:27am
Look at the thread to see what way to undo then use a 1.5 metre bar. If you still cant undo then drive Backwards (or forwards) with the bar on on nut and the ground

etimret, Jul 30, 9:27am
x1
Ah man will write this down and have another look when im on site.Yes its the back left hand side dual wheels. Thanks for solving a simple question from a car driver person.

scoobeey, Jul 30, 9:27am
the joys of a rattlegun:(I always do my wheel nuts myself .been caught out before

scoobeey, Jul 30, 9:29am
use a piece of wood so doesnt slip off :)))

steve312, Jul 30, 9:47am
x2
Inner or outer dual!From memory, the Isuzus have a square head as well as the nut on the rear studs.You have to undo the nut first to remove the outer wheel then put the wheel socket on the square part of the stud and the outer part of the stud winds off to remove the inner wheel.

scoobeey, Jul 30, 9:49am
and DONT do up inner nuts too tight!

chris_051, Jul 30, 9:58am
we useanti sieze on all wheel studs and they only require a recheck after a few hundred kays, fleet transport, no dramas, and we never have to replace wheel studs or nuts. A good size bar/leverage will have more turning force than any rattle gun too btw.

sr2, Jul 30, 10:04am
100% In agreement. Good, concise advice.

poppajn, Aug 1, 6:59am
Put a axle stand at the end of the brace, put a peice of pipe on the bar and get someone to belt the end of the brace with a sledgehammer as you stand on the bar.

sas777, Aug 1, 7:18am
Assuming, of course, you have worked out which thread they are.

etimret, Aug 1, 8:29am
Hi all . Yes has a L on studs just covered in mud so it didnt show . Yes got it off today left hand thread ,,, inside nuts hard as well. yes i lubed the threads on both and yes will recheck once a week . for a month . Im only useing first gear and reverse at present ,,
Also saw mechanic and he did the same when he first started so he laughed and brought back rattlegun memorys .
problem solved . i new it was easy just didnt no the answer
Thanks to alll

carclan, Aug 1, 5:52pm
Correct.

oakie, Aug 1, 6:28pm
One end on the nuts other end of long pipe on the ground, then start the truck up and stick it in gear.

bleetbleet, Aug 1, 6:56pm
beaurepairs