Hi, car battery question

arctic-monkeys, Jul 29, 11:47pm
Before I go and get a new battery, thought I'd check here and see if anyone could help.

I'm not sure if our battery has had it, or if something is draining it overnight.
Yesterday the battery was flat, I got a jump start and left the car running in the driveway for an hour. I then turned engine off and turned it on again 5 or 10 mins later, it started fine.I left it another 10 mins and started it again, ran the car for 10 mins and left it at that, went out to car this morning and the battery was dead, central locking even struggled to open doors.

Had the car 3 years, always been fine with starting.

Is it likely to just need a new battery or is it probably something more!
I couldn't see any door lights, interior lights or boot light on,this is happening constantly now.Thanks for any helpful replies

bellky, Jul 29, 11:52pm
Could be any one of those things. Why don't you charge the bat up properly or get it tested first.

arctic-monkeys, Jul 30, 12:00am
I did a trickle charge last weekend overnight, unfortunatley it didn't seem to have any effect, died during the night again, would it be expensive to get tested

bellky, Jul 30, 12:07am
Yep, if you can't charge it (it won't take a charge) then it's stuffed.

I don't know about trickle chargers though.

Any Auto Lecky place that sells bats will check for you for free.

johnf_456, Jul 30, 12:17am
You left it running at idle for a hour, if you want to charge the battery you are better off driving it. Has the alternator output is increased when the engine speed is higher. I would get it fully charged then get it load tested.

elect70, Jul 30, 1:53am
Go to auto sparky forload test , freeusually , only way to know if its OK.

nzeva, Jul 30, 3:50am
For sure they'll sell you a new battery, whatever the condition of your old one.LOL

Charge it right up on your trickle charger with the battery earth wire disconnected. Take the charger off and leave the battery sitting 24 hours, then re-connect the earth wire and see if it starts! If Yes the battery is okay and you something in the car draining it, eg. faulty alternator diodes. If No the battery is bad and needs replacing.

outbidyou2, Jul 30, 10:41am
Winter time= stuffed battery=new one needed