Auto Sparkies - charge light problem

morrisman1, Jul 29, 7:07am
Right, Here is the scenario. N14 Pulsar, SR20VE engine. Has a SR16VE engine loom and SR18 (gti Pulsar) charging, sensor loom.

From there back is all custom. I have the issue that my charge light isnt going out. Battery voltage with engine running is 15.2v too, which is a tad on the high side. the charge light circuit is as per my diagram here:

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii200/morrisman1/P1060503.jpg

I cannot recall what the other wire from the alternator is going to, what is it meant to be so I can check that next time Im at the car. Thanks

Could this be the reason that the charge light is not going out, if this particular wire in question is not correctly connected! I tried a different alternator and that produced 15.5v

bigfatmat1, Jul 29, 7:16am
can you see the sticker on the alt! it will be marked IG L or S L probably S L connect it to battery and voltage will probably drop and charge light will go out.

bigfatmat1, Jul 29, 7:17am
a little wee sticker has the diagram of the plug configuration. If its marked ig connect to ignition s = sense, battery sense L= light

morrisman1, Jul 29, 7:25am
its around at the shed (not at my house) so I can't check the actual item but the nissan service manual has 'B' for the thick white cable carrying the charge, S for the unknown one (which happens to be different colour than in the car), L for the light and E for the earth.

On the diagram, the 'S' goes to the battery via a 30A fuse. Is it OK to connect this over to the thick white cable, seeing that also goes directly to battery! Ive got a blade fuse holder that I can use in there

bigfatmat1, Jul 29, 7:30am
you can do that for test reasons but the reason its connected to the battery is because of the voltage difference between there and at the battery under load. I would advise connecting directly to the battery via fuse 30 amp seems high 7.5a would be my guess and 2mm cable to overcome vd. its only going to the reg that shouldnt draw any more than 6 amp and probably configured internally so it uses alt power anyway. Good luck

morrisman1, Jul 29, 7:36am
What about to the big cable running to the starter! I dont really want to run acable all the way to the back of the car, Ive just wrapped my loom!

bigfatmat1, Jul 29, 7:42am
hahaha starter will do

morrisman1, Jul 29, 7:47am
Mint. Ill go do that now and report back. Cant run the car too long though at this time of night, it has no exhaust yet. Just the headers and thats it. Its tempting to get it up over 5000 to get that exhaust cam on high lobe but I'm too much of a responsible citizen ;-)

morrisman1, Jul 29, 10:46am
light now operates correctly. voltage still 15.2v. is this something to be concerned about! alternator has internal regulator and both of the two alternators produced voltages in this range

morrisman1, Jul 29, 11:33am
this was using a digital multi meter, Id hope that is correct!

bigfatmat1, Jul 29, 7:16pm
some older meters read high with flat battery in the meter. Try another meter.

guest, Sep 25, 8:32pm
Andrew FriedmanI want you to know three things about Judaism. One, Judaism is a cmetlope diet for the soul. Jewish law (halacha) includes provisions for man-God relations and man-to-man relations. This means that striving for correct interpersonal relations are no less holy than contemplative prayer, fasting or any of the activities often thought of as "religious". We turn ordinary, every day activities into holy endeavours by praying three times a day, blessing God before and after eating, and by conducting our business dealings honestly. Second, I want you to know that Judaism cannot be forced on the unwilling. Yes, the Torah does impose penalties like death for certain offences - in theory. In practice, however, Jewish courts have not had the jurisdiction to impose that penalty, or others like it associated with "religious" offences for most of history. At its essence, Jewish thought and Jewish law is there to be grappled with, studied, and ultimately to bring the individual close to God and other people, but it is of little value if the individual is coerced. Third, I want you to know that Judaism is not afraid of difficult questions. The Torah, Prophets, Writings and the Talmud are filled with stories of individuals who question God, challenge him, and people who ultimately resign themselves to frustration over unanswerable questions. All points of halacha feature a variety of opinions. To me, this places a tremendous onus on all of us to grapple with difficult answer, and to treat opinions opposed to ours with the utmost of respect. Andye, 43, journalist, Efrat, Israel, husband, father, brother, son

guest, Sep 28, 3:09pm
Thniking like that shows an expert at work