Collapsed ignition barrel / locked steering wheel

the_art_man, Jul 28, 9:02am
95 VS comodore, I know i need to get a new ignition barrel but i cant acsess it due to steering wheel locked solid carnt turn key (but key can be removed) and jigling the wheel and ect wont budge / how do i unlock it to pull it out to replace thanks (im aware of my spelling issues thanks)

kazbanz, Jul 28, 9:11am
the art man--given the car is yours I:d be in starting to rip her appart.
take the plastics from around the steering wheel to reveal the barrel and brackets. Youll find the bracket is bolted to the steeering shaft by two snap off bolts that you will need to dot punch and ease out. -ie theres no???head on the bolt. They take the eight off the lock and drop the whole thing out. -you can unpin the top from the base of the barrelwhich leaves a slot a screwdriver will fit in to start the car.
Once done then get the new barrel keyed to the key.
incidently ti MIGHT pay to get a key cut to code before doing this-a new key sometimes gives the barrel a new lease on life

the_art_man, Jul 28, 9:24am
oh yeah have taken plasticks off and have seen that pin bolt is there only one of those I did try give it a few taps didnt look like it was gona budge , but if i know once thats realesd itl free it from steering lock so i can take into to be recoded then i mite havto go smack the bolt bit harder then ( is that bolt easy to replace or damaged when hit out!) other side has clip but cant undo clip untill that bolt gives it some freedom to move thanks thought i was going to have to remove stearing colom hope that works cheers

the_art_man, Jul 28, 9:24am
oh yeah i own it lol

treachug, Jul 28, 10:01am
Yep, keep tapping/centre punching etc the bolt around trying to undo it. Once out you can just put a cap screw back in. The original is a shear-off type that the head breaks off once done up to torque spec (possibly not much) - anti theft but anti helpful when the cylinder shaft breaks.

kazbanz, Jul 28, 10:02am
the idea is to hit the bolt head with a hammer and centre punch hard enough to put an indent in it-it alsh will jarr the loctite ion the threads if any was used. then hammer and centre punch to slowly spin the bolt out. -it will be a standard M8 bolt most likely and you can replace it with an allen head bolt or of youre a titewad just hacksaw a slot in the head and reuse it but NO there are two bolts--the one you can see and another up the top-same setup on both

treachug, Jul 28, 10:11am
Nope, OP is correct - only got the 1 bolt & a slip into the other hook type clamp set-up. So with just the one bolt hes got only got half the time to look forward to to undo.lol

the_art_man, Jul 28, 10:13am
ok cool , so is the exsisting 2 bolts with no heads threaded !so hav to tap in a way that would un screw them anti clockwise like a normal threaded bolt! also the top one you mention is that under the indicator set up!

treachug, Jul 28, 10:16am
Yep its threaded so just try to undo like normal bolt

the_art_man, Jul 28, 10:17am
thanks treachug that sounds right / also im gona buy a new ignition barrel becous back lug is broken , do i take the new ignition to lock smith to get re shaped to existing keys and then to gm to program it all together or can i take housing of old key and attach to metal part of new key !

the_art_man, Jul 28, 10:18am
yeah prety sure only one bolt like this ive seen / i mite take some pics and update tomoro as no shed at the moment mite help some one else at some stage

treachug, Jul 28, 10:22am
Two ways:
1: Buy a new uncoded igniton barrel kit & take it to locksmith to get re-coded to original key (but as Kazbanz mentioned get a new key cut to suit). 2:
Buy a replacement already coded barrel & key but then you end up with different door key & ignition key - a real pain!
No recoding needed with either option as you will be putting your black remote head onto the new key.

kazbanz, Jul 28, 10:23am
ahh sorry Im a bit plashed--you are right -but yep its a bolt to unthread

treachug, Jul 28, 10:28am
Definately the one single bolt. The other end of the clamp hooks into the lock
New bolt part number 90052550
New uncoded ignition barrel kit 92048530
New key blank 92141426
Hope that helps.

treachug, Jul 28, 10:29am
haha no probs - plashed! ahhhh plastered.

the_art_man, Jul 28, 10:39am
CLinK*

the_art_man, Jul 28, 10:58am

kazbanz, Jul 28, 6:15pm
???
????????

the_art_man, Jul 28, 10:59pm
update ; ive removed the barrel from colum ( decided to go with driling the bolt out from under neith as have to replace bolt anyway worked alright) unfortunatley i stil cant turn the key to put in acc mode so to speak to release the iner guts . at least i can take it to lock smith i gess . thanks for your help ( any way i can unlock myself! , do you rekon cheaper to buy new housing or get locky to unlock so can be removed for new ignition insert! thanks

kazbanz, Jul 29, 12:03am
tam--you SHOLD be able to take the weight off the lock tab by turning the steering a tiny bit then it should just pull out

treachug, Jul 29, 12:03am
The key will be worn, in turn the tumblers will also be worn making it a bad combination for the key to be able to turn in the housing. Take it to a locksmith & supply them the new barrel & get them to do it. Theres a hole about 3mm which you insert a shaft to depress the locking pin, once the locking pin is depressed the barrel slides out easy. The trick is being able to turn the key barrel to the correct position for this to happen.take to a good (auto experienced) locksmith - they will deal with it