Gull Petrol. Is gull fuel ok for twostroke 90hp yamaha outboard any negatives

contagious, Jul 21, 2:12am
Is Gull Fuel OK For Twostroke 90HP Yamaha Outboard Any Negatives

thejazzpianoma, Jul 21, 2:39am
I assume you are talking their E10 high octane since you are asking.

That answer on that basis is "NO" and "NEVER" use an ethonol blend for marine use. Regardless of whether it will ruin your engine it is hygroscopic so presents a safety risk on the water.

magicmat, Jul 21, 3:16am
I dont use any eco fuel at any time for the sake of my engine.

On another note, I always filled up with 91 and didnt question it. However one day I accidentally put 95 in my car. I am glad I did make that 'mistake' as the result was a noticeable improvement in both power and economy. Putting 91 in my car turned out to be a false economy (5.7 litre commie).

kokako14, Jul 21, 3:42am
A lot of the 91 use went back to the days of non-leaded petrol. 91 was non-leaded and Oz, you couldnt get a 95 nozzle into your filler pipe.
All fuel is now un-leaded, so yeah, 95 does improve performance

gmphil, Jul 21, 4:33am
Hey jazz can u explain beter like wot is hygroscopic and why safety risk on water !
Mate mine has 90 yamaha on his and last 3 years is all hes used as he tight lol

neo_psy, Jul 21, 4:34am
Holy monkey - didn't know that.

Don't run either of our cars on it, anyway.

mottly, Jul 21, 4:39am
"Hygroscopic substances include cellulose fibers such as cotton and paper, sugar, caramel, honey, glycerol, ethanol, methanol, diesel fuel, sulfuric acid, methamphetamine, many fertilizer chemicals, many salts (including table salt), and a wide variety of other substances." lol.salt.in the sea

thejazzpianoma, Jul 21, 4:41am
Good question!
Hygroscopic just means it absorbs water. people are probably more used to hearing the term in relation to brake fluid which is usually hygroscopic as well.

E10 fuel absorbs water about 50 times better than regular fuel. This can cause your engine to be damaged or at least stop working unexpectedly in several ways.

Obviously, anything that reduces the reliability of an engine during marine use is a safety risk.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 21, 4:49am
BTW,
I used to be a big supporter of Gull, however over late they have been doing stupid things that are inconveniencing rural people and leaving many out of pocket.

Stupid things they are doing:

1. Not advising people of the risks of biofuel properly (like for marine use). Even to the point of giving advice against the manufacturers recommendations when I emailed their technical people.

2. Not disclosing that E10 does not give you the economy of other fuels thus not being as good a value as they advertise.

3. Replacing their high octane fuel with E10 instead of their low octane fuel (like the do in other countries). This means that many cars can't safely run any fuel sold by Gull. If they replaced the 91 with E10 this wouldproblem would be reduced significantly.

4. Buying up Rural service stations where they are the ONLY local provider. That would be fine except for reason number 3, rural people also run lots of machinery and equipment that is also not suitable to run on any of their fuel.

doug207, Jul 21, 5:37am
The difference on them is massive, they hate 91, ignition timing gets retarded a lot because they pink and knock.

clark20, Jul 21, 6:46am
The first time I tried it in my 6.0L commodore (E10) my fuel level sensor failed. might be coincidence but I will never use it again.

m16d, Jul 21, 7:54am
From Gull's own web site.

Do not use in marine engines.
Use of Gull Force 10 and Gull Regular Plus in
boat engines and outboard motors is not
recommended as there is much more likelihood
of significant quantities of water being present
in the fuel tank.

johnf_456, Jul 21, 9:00am
Good advice all, if only Gull would start been more truthful and letting people know what their fuel does.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 21, 9:36am
Yip,because everyone checks their website before filling their boat.

What's wrong with a clear "Not for Marine Use" sticker on the pump!

They do have a warning (to their credit) on the pump but I do not mention anything specific to marine use. Happy to be proven wrong on that though, although I think some sort of boat with a cross through it symbol is warranted even if it is mentioned in the fine print.

ralphdog1, Jul 21, 9:58am
You only have to read a few American boating forums to see what a nightmare Ethanol has and can be in the marine environment.
Avoid.

bryshaw, Jul 22, 11:17pm
Gull are going to get a lot of stick from the major oil companies, and also from AA who are in bed with BP & Caltex on their fuel cards.

bevharris1938, Jul 22, 11:21pm
If ethonol blend is bad for marine use 2stroke , does that mean it's bad for rotary engines ! They sort of work like a 2stroke.

rsr72, Jul 23, 3:49am
Ethanol at E10 level will eventually damage older engines.
Germany banned it's use several years ago due to car-maker's clear evidence of damage to existing engines at such a high level, and introduced E5 instead.
It has always been known that the lower calorific values of ethanol fuel gives a lower mileage per tank compared to petrols.
Brazil is the world leader in ethanol transport use and when it came into use there in the 70's the car manufacturers had to install larger fuel tanks to take this into account. A popular aftermarket accessory were secondary fuel tanks that fitted into the spare-wheel wells in boot-floor fuel tanks.