Captiva or new model Hyundai Santa Fe?

Page 1 / 2
beagle12, Aug 25, 9:07am
We currently have four vehicles between the two of us (ridiculous I know especially when the insurance bill comes in). We are thinking of selling two and buying 1 new car. Anyone have any experience of the above vehicles! I rock around town in a 1800 corolla at the moment and we have a Ford Territory for going on hoilday in. We want something that has reasonable power but not too large; The Territory is quite a big vehicle for everyday driving around Hamilton. I have heard 1 or 2 people say quite bad things about Captiva's and another couple have advised the Hyundai is a little underpowered. Thoughts, experiences please.

msigg, Aug 25, 9:15am
Huyundai is a great looking vehicle, don't know how they go , i imagine pretty good, the brand is certainly on the move.

monaro17, Aug 25, 9:22am
If you are buying new- definitely the diesel Sante-fe (not under powered by any standards), I wouldn't go for the Captiva.

treachug, Aug 25, 9:50am
Had a guy in at work buying some parts the other day & was driving a series II Captiva diesel. I asked him what the diesel version went like & he said '%&#$ing awesome'. Also asked if he had any problems with it & he said nope bought it brand new, been reliable & loves it & he doesnt dawdle along.he was in his early 20's

3tomany, Aug 26, 1:44am
must have been one of those rare friday cars you here about

thejazzpianoma, Aug 26, 3:19am
I wouldn't buy either. It would go for the Skoda Yeti or VW Tiguan.
Both are far superior vehicles with much better design and technology. I would have significantly more faith in VW/Skoda's diesel engine's they are about the best on the market.

Go and drive them and compare the spec, economy etc. It should be an easy decision.

The GM and Hyundai offerings are over hyped and over priced in NZ. Its all marketing and no substance.

mugenb20b, Aug 26, 3:23am
The Skoda and VW are smaller vehicles. The Hyundai comes as a 7 seater and its diesel has tonnes of power / torque.

trdbzr, Aug 26, 3:29am
The Santa Fe is a pretty good car. Its bigger than the Skoda Yeti and VW Tiguan and much more powerful than both of them.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 26, 3:29am
My understanding was they were looking for a smaller vehicle in that style formostly running around Hamilton. thats kind of the point!

They both still tow well and have enough room for going away on holiday for most people.

The Skoda and VW both come in versions with considerable performance so I don't see how that is relevant!

Edited, because I see there is another post,
The real world performance of the 2.0 Diesel Yeti vs the Diesel Hyundai is actually almost identical. The Hyundai might look impressive on paper but it loses its edge because of its bulk and comparably inefficient drive-train.

Best thing to do is to actually drive all 4 vehicles. What I am saying should then make a lot more sense.

mugenb20b, Aug 26, 3:34am
My apologies Jazz.I only read the title.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 26, 3:40am
Fair enough, sorry if I sounded harsh!

trdbzr, Aug 26, 3:52am
Nope you're wrong. In both instances, even with the Santa Fe's 323kg/398kg extra weight, it will outperform the Yeti.

The problem is that you are not comparing apples with apples. The Tiguan and Yeti were made to compete with the likes of CX5/IX35/Kuga etc not the Captiva or Santa Fe.

mugenb20b, Aug 26, 4:15am
Not at all. If you used capital letters, angry faces, swear words and threats, then you'd sound harsh.

phillip.weston, Aug 26, 4:18am
If you only had to choose between the two, I would go for the Hyundai over the Daewoo. I mean Holden.

msigg, Aug 26, 4:40am
The hyundia is much better than the yeti(tiny) or the tiguam, and i wouldn't want to tow anything with htose euro boxes, could be big bills to come.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 26, 6:05am
Always the same nonsense from the trolls when you suggest anything European. Clearly the trolls have never even sat in either of the vehicles. Such a shame the OP has to sort through silly rubbish from those without half a clue every time.

trdbzr, Aug 26, 6:11am
Always the same nonsense from the fanboy when you suggest anything non-european. Clearly the fanboy have never even sat in either of the vehicles. Such a shame the OP has to sort through silly rubbish and bias from those without even half a clue every time.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 26, 6:16am
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/yeti/20292/skoda-yeti
Worth watching the video too, it gives you a really good look over the car and why its so very good.

stevo2, Aug 26, 7:02pm
I too am a fan of the Yeti but the O.P is buying new and initial depreciation on those is a killer

doctor_evil99, Aug 26, 8:54pm
In Australia, they called the holden Craptiva.

taurus61, Aug 26, 8:58pm
I'm farming and have a tiguan it regualary towsa loaded tandem trailer (2.5 Tonne) no problems. I also looked at the Hyundai's before purchaseing the Tiguan. Much more bang for your bucks with the Tiguan, much nicer drive on road, Has sufficent off road capiabilities for our farming operation. While the Santa Fe was OKay was not in the same league. Only looked breifly at the Captiva so can not really compare.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 26, 9:08pm
While I would wholeheartedly agree if this was a VW Toureg I don't think the Skoda will actually depreciate noticeably worse than the others at all.

The Skoda is a bit different in that its a very reasonable price to start with and quite sought after secondhand. So far the 2 year old ones I have seen sell have lost very little value at all.

brapbrappy, Aug 26, 9:10pm
Yes they really didnt go down to well over there.

mopsy3, Aug 27, 1:48am
Aren't the Yeti and the Tuigan basically the same cars underneath! Just one is dam ugly and the other is a bit classier!

msigg, Aug 27, 5:20am
I think buying a second hand yeti is like buying a hand grenade, they have alot of small electrical issues, and if its out of warranty then big dollars to repair.