Cert question. If i fit bigger brakes to my car from a later model will it need a lvv cert they will bolt on using oem parts and

00quattro00, Aug 23, 10:49am
If I fit bigger brakes to my car from a later model will it need a lvv cert! They will bolt on using oem parts and req zero modification to fit

hijacka, Aug 23, 10:59am
It will not require lvv cert.

smac, Aug 23, 8:22pm
There's the rules and then there's reality. The rules are you need to be certed. The reality is the WoF guy probably won't notice unless he's some kinda expert in your model.

I debated this with those that make said rules. The reasoning is that the cert guy needs to check that the amateur doing the work did the installation properly. I pointed out that this is nonsense given that as an amateur I can replace every single piece of the brake system on my own with OEM parts and no knowledge what so ever and NOT need a cert. He didn't see the anomaly.

kcf, Aug 23, 9:21pm
Yup, it will need a cert.

Watch to ensure that your brake balance isn't upset too.Lots of rear brakes makes for exciting rainy days.

kazbanz, Aug 23, 9:41pm
What smac said. In theory you need a cert but in practice noone will know/notice.
BUT-Im assuming you have done the calculations re volume to make sure the master cylinder is able to pumpthe right amount of fluid.

00quattro00, Aug 23, 11:13pm
Will be using everything from the donor vehicle, will also install a bias valve to dial off the rears a bit

mrfxit, Aug 24, 12:36am
Bias valve . non oem for that model!

kazbanz, Aug 24, 12:52am
Hang on OP this is sounding squrrelly now.
You have for example a 1990 nissan skyline and want to fit brakes from a 2000 nissan skyline. If you are fitting al the parts from the brakes then there will be no need for any valving.

smac, Aug 24, 12:55am
Ya if you use everything from the donor, the valve isn't needed. Maybe you're just planning on using the front! Maybe just the callipers and not the cylinders! Now you're getting dodgy.

00quattro00, Aug 24, 2:46am
There will be a need for valving using bigger brakes from a heavier car on an old car that doesnt have much weight over the rear axle, can lock up the rears as it is now