Just a quick question , how to polish up dull.

aragorn2003, Aug 19, 12:34am
plastic trims! The exterior black trims of my car are looking abit dull and wanting to get them looking fresh. Whats a good polish to use! Tried some Autosol but didn't quite work.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 19, 12:37am
I find black trim treatments don't last long enough for my liking so I use two methods.

1. Heat gun, test on a hidden bit first and don't linger too long in one place. There is a bit of a technique to it especially getting it even, but the results are excellent and long lasting. I usually follow up after with a spray on product which will just help with the finishing touches. Its not hard but use caution and be careful of unsupported trim (like insides of bumpers) that may try to warp with the heat.

2. Paint with KH Bumper prime and KH Bumper paint. In extreme cases where the trim or bumpers are really shot this can make them beautiful again.

Best of luck.

morrisjvan, Aug 19, 12:38am
heat them up withpaint stripper gun and the colour wil return. but be careful not to melt them, or blister the surrounding paint !

thejazzpianoma, Aug 19, 12:40am
Snap! I win!

splinter67, Aug 19, 12:42am
Shoe polish with a little bit of thinners mixed with it make a paste wipe on polish off

aragorn2003, Aug 19, 12:57am
Thanks guys , Sadly I don't have a heat gun and I'd probably some how set the car on fire. lol

Shoe polish and thinners aye! sound interesting. Did abit of googling and came up with boiled linseed oil and thinners together. Might have to do a comparison on the 2 methods.

splinter67, Aug 19, 12:59am
Works the same I just never have any linseed oil lol

sw20, Aug 19, 12:59am
Tyre shine. Then just wipe off the excess.

aragorn2003, Aug 19, 1:01am
And how long do you find the results work before having to reapply!

splinter67, Aug 19, 1:07am
2 to 3 months a car groomer showed me works great just dont rub against it with your clothes until completely dry otherwise you wife will kill you as it dosent come off do a little bit first untill you get the mixture right it should be like a paste to get the best results

zooki007, Aug 19, 1:08am
Be very careful where you leave linseed oily rags. They have been known to self combust.

nzeva, Aug 19, 4:52am
A decent hair dryer may work okay!

thejazzpianoma, Aug 19, 5:00am
I doubt it, its slow enough with my heat gun.

The thing is OP, you don't need a flash heatgun. Why not just grab a $20 one from bunnings as if you are going to buy something to rub on you will likely be spending $10 or so anyway.

Just a note if buying a cheap heatgun, it is an advantage but not essential for this job if its got some sort of wide dispersal end attachment. I think the bunnings cheapy has no accessories with it.

thejazzpianoma, Aug 19, 5:01am
+1
Many a garage has burnt down because of this.

grangies, Aug 19, 6:23am
Indeed.

A silicon base tyre shine will do the trick .

It's a similar process and result, to oiling timber furniture.