Help! Petrol in a diesel - eek.

Page 1 / 2
rowlf, Aug 12, 1:45am
Once you have finished pointing and laughing at my stupidity, this morning I in a moment of absent mindedness I managed to put some petrol into my diesel vehicle. Fortunately I realised what I had done, so pushed it off the forecourt without starting it. I will head back later and syphon petrol out. What do I need to do next! I can't believe what a freaking idiot I am!

booksurfer1, Aug 12, 1:47am
Since you havent started it you should just fill the car up with diesel, once you've made sure you got all the contaminated fuel out.
Good luck!
By the way, it's far more common than you'd realise. I used to manage some gas stations and saw quite a few.

mugenb20b, Aug 12, 1:48am
What's the year and make of the vehicle!
How much petrol did you put in!

motorboy2011, Aug 12, 1:48am
how much petrol is in there!

rowlf, Aug 12, 1:49am
It's 96 Terrano put about 25L in before I realised.

motorboy2011, Aug 12, 1:50am
bugger. you'll need to drain then fill to the top with diesel

rowlf, Aug 12, 1:52am
So completely emptying it and refilling wit diesel will be enough! I don't need to flush it or anything! This isn't sounding quite as horrific as I imagined!

mugenb20b, Aug 12, 1:52am
I can't recall if they have a drain plug in the tank. If they do, you are in luck. If you are an AA member, give them a ring.

booksurfer1, Aug 12, 1:54am
Yip, draining it will do the job. As you didn't start it, the contaminated fuel has gone nowhere except in the tank. Any small residual(tiny ammount) wont harm your motor.

rowlf, Aug 12, 1:55am
I can't believe I did it, I drive a petrol car but my 4wd is diesel, I usually only use it for work, but flooding meant I couldn't get my car out, so took the 4wd, guess since I wasn't in work mode I just reverted to petrol.

rowlf, Aug 12, 1:57am
Cheers! And thanks for not telling me how stupid I am, I had to ring my husband to come and get me, he was pretty understanding, my 14 yr old son however told me what a moron I am!

carlz05, Aug 12, 2:03am
Theres a couple of companies around that will syphon the petrol out for you.Later model vehicles its not as easy as it used to be to syphon out.It costs a few dollars, but it gets fuel safely out.

fryan1962, Aug 12, 2:10am
ohh I was kind because I thought a male had done it, now I know it was female operator gloves are off

helsbels2, Aug 12, 2:15am
At least you didn't start it unlike a customer of ours who had a petrol loan car. Put $20 of diesel in it realised her mistake so put $20 of petrol on top. Now you would think the service station would have queried why she paid for both diesel and petrol but no she drove home then rang us when she got home and said it wasn't running very well!

wind.turbine, Aug 12, 2:16am
this might help you
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=b5xhPAundL4
or it might not

penneyless, Aug 12, 2:17am
top it up with diesel an drive it youll notice a slight differance in power itll combust just keep toping up ive done the same an seen the same quite a few times just as long as theirs more diesel that petrol

cuda.340, Aug 12, 2:19am
my apprentice got $10 0f petrol in my diesel truck before i spotted the fail, we just topped up with diesel, another $50 worth, and drove off no problem. it actually ran pretty good for the rest of that tank load so no biggy having a bit of contamination.

mull05, Aug 12, 2:22am
The mrs took my petrol 4wd to work, stopped for gas and filled it right up with diesel. Lucky she didnt start it but the far quit mechanic who came to assist her started it to get it off the forecourt. Ended up with a $600 bill but only paid $100 after having them up.

johanes, Aug 12, 2:31am
yep, done that. only when i went to pay for the tank full and i go "how much" ****. then the penny dropped. no drain bung so it turned into a mission as could not get a siphon hose in.

mrfxit, Aug 12, 2:35am
LOL. he WHAT!

Sun spawned product of left overs on the urinal wall after wasting a few million oddly named whales

mrfxit, Aug 12, 2:38am
Yea did that job for 2 years with my own gear.
Thank fully most vehicles back then had drain bungs or open fill pipes.
It was just on the edge of most vehicles being fitted with anti siphon fillers & no bungs

carclan, Aug 12, 3:17am
depends on the percentage but some handbooks for European cars state you can mix up to 25% for winter running.

anrcflier, Aug 12, 3:42am
drain tank and keep it for your mower lol.I know someone who fill a 5000 litre tank with 2 pumps and one petrol one diesel.You aren't bad at 25l

bwg11, Aug 12, 4:27am
I've done this twice with a 96 Prado. I'm told the oil companies say 10 - 15% is no problem. Last time I put 20 litres in the Prado (in an 85 litre tank) and it ran perfectly. I did take the precaution of not doing any heavy towing on that tank full. Not sure if I would be happy to run a petrol/diesel mix in a new common rail diesel as they seem more delicate than old Prado/Terrano motors

taipan4, Aug 12, 4:28am
you will need to change the fuel filter, good idea to do when its petrol into diesel vehicle anyway