Question for Subaru gurus please

graham32, Aug 10, 7:00am
Outback / lancaster 3 litre 6 cylinder, what are pros and cons please, any year better or worse or should i stick to a different model, I am wanting a wagon shape over sedan

graham32, Aug 10, 7:07am
Ha bloody Ha.now how about some serious comments

graham32, Aug 10, 7:10am
what do you suggest as a wagon !

jason18, Aug 10, 7:11am
Get A 2lt one if you want a subaru wagon. Stay away from 2.5s too!

jason18, Aug 10, 7:12am
What year and price limit you looking at!

graham32, Aug 10, 7:14am
not sure on year at this stage and under 10k

graham32, Aug 10, 7:19am
yeap been waiting for jazz to pop in.not needed for towing just the extra space really

pc_evo, Aug 10, 7:24am
we've got a 3l H6, legacy. GT30

Problems in 2 years - nil, one HID control solenoid $25, thats all! no cam belt its a chain, got to be a bonus, goes like fuck, pulls too (it is auto though). very comfy, lots of room, lots of ground clearance. HOWEVER

Test drove an lancaster / outback first, felt like poos, drove like poos, idle'd, like. well SHIT@!.

Having drove a few of the legacys as well, stick to them, there better than the lancasters (something to do with the suspension), just make sure they've done the coil packs before you buy one.

Otherwise, i dont see an issue, they're probably harder on tyres, but still not that bad. Ours even does good mileage 700k to a tank, which isnt bad for a sooobarrrrrooooooooo

graham32, Aug 10, 7:32am
These are the comments i am looking for owners and test pilots, Thanks

graham32, Aug 10, 7:52am
How do you know if its a Gt30 engine over the other 3 litres ! or are they the same !

splinter67, Aug 10, 8:03am
If you are going to buy a sub make sure the cooling system has been serviced this is the biggest problem subs have once they overheat the only place they go is to the scrapheap if they go to a mechanic your wallet will go to the scrapheap

franc123, Aug 10, 8:03am
Good grief really! You think they are fast! The two examples I've driven felt very unresponsive vehicles to me, compared to a 2.8V6 VW Passat 4motion they are a slug. The handling of them was nothing special either.

jason18, Aug 10, 8:42am
Seems good having no mods and has been well looked after. I had an 02 b4 and loved driving it. Never get an auto tho they have problems with oil leaking onto clutch packs causing trans to slip. Expensive for those kms tho

NZTools, Aug 10, 9:33am
jason18 wrote:
Seems good having no mods and has been well looked after. I had an 02 b4 and loved driving it. Never get an auto tho they have problems with oil leaking onto clutch packs causing trans to slip. Expensive for those kms tho[/quote

They are wet clutches. They are supposed to be emmersed in oil, just like any auto.

jamstew, Aug 10, 9:35am
if you are getting a turbo subie of the EJ20 variety, (up till and including the version posted above) go for lower k's, they do enjoy costing money once they get over 200kms (personal experience from a few well maintained, not beat up subarus., feel free to let anyone else tell you otherwise, just my two cents.)

austingtir, Aug 10, 10:03am
If you look hard enough you might find a 3.5lt m35 stagea or even a 2.5turbo m35.Best station wagon you will find imo.The 3.5 is very reliable and with the later model 5 stage auto is a very good alround car.