Isuzu Bighorn auto wont change into OD until warm

battleaxe, Sep 3, 2:39am
Our 1994 Isuzu Bighorn wont change into top gear until the engine is fully warmed up. This usually takes about 3-5 mins. Any ideas what's going on! If i drive it onto the motorway cold it will just rev up towards the red line without changing gear. Once the car is warm, the gearbox works fine and does smooth changes between all gears.

thunderbolt, Sep 3, 2:48am
Not changing into OD until warm is normal on some cars.
How fast are you going at redline in third!
Sounds more like it won't change into thirduntil it gets hot that is your issue.

kcf, Sep 3, 2:53am
That's a feature not a fault.

battleaxe, Sep 3, 3:25am
it changes up into 3rd at about 50kmh. i don't drive up to the red line, but it will sit there at 3000 rpm then change into OD. when it's warm it will go into OD at about 60kph

jcwholesale, Sep 3, 3:36am
It is supposed to do that

battleaxe, Sep 3, 3:39am
cool. its just very annoying that it wont go into top gear when cold.

monaro17, Sep 3, 4:08am
Perhaps you could let the engine warm up for 5 mins before you drive off, this should help

battleaxe, Sep 3, 4:46am
the result is the same.

NZTools, Sep 3, 5:26am
It is to protect both your transmission and your engine from labouring too hard before it gets up to operating temperature. My bighorn, even in a 5 degree frost usually only takes a little over a km of open road before itgets up to temp andhooks overdrive.

Perhaps your thermostat is faulty if it takes longer than this!

stevexc, Sep 3, 6:14am
Had a similar problem on my Honda Orthia - it wouldn't lock the torque converter (feels like a 5th gear).Replaced the thermostat and all is good now.

stevo2, Sep 3, 6:49am
As above. The thermostat may be stuck open therefore taking longer to warm up then allow the trans to drop into overdrive.

unclejake, Sep 3, 7:51am
Is the O/D trigger engine or trans temp!

Aunty Jake's W210 E320 Mercedes used to hold first (or possibly second) gear for at least 100 meters when cold. I thought it was a trans thing, but I never really thought about it until now. Hers can't have been temp - unless it was an exhaust sensor

geminidragon, Sep 3, 9:48am
my bighorn changes into od at 80kms

ml6989, Sep 3, 10:51am
Does your temp gauge sit on normal (about half way between hot and cold) and is your heater putting out plenty of heat!If the answer to either or both questions is 'no' then replace your thermostat. The supposed transmission problem should then be resolved. Having said all that, your transmission will only change into OD once operating temperature is reached.