Mazda - Noise on cold Startup

Page 1 / 2
millerz08, Sep 25, 11:55pm
I purchased a 2007 mazda 2 demio a few weeks ago, I noticed it was making a noise on start up.
If I turn it off to restart immediately (to hear the noise) it wont happen, but leave it about 30mins and it will.
I do notice if the weather is warmer it wont make the sound between trips/start ups. If its cold it will make it every time.

I took it back to be looked at as it is under warrenty, but the mechanic that looked at it said they only heard the noise once, and could'nt get it to do it again.
Last night it made the noise again, and then this morning.

Im unsure what to do, as Im worried if I send it back the noise may not happen for them again.
The car has only done 20,000km so I would not expect the car to have starter motor issues, or is this common.
I now think it sounds like the starter motor, possibly not dissengaging sp! thats my guess but I don't know much about cars. (its about 2 seconds or grinding noise).
My husband is taking it to a Mazda mechanic to hav a quick look at this afternoon, but I doubt it wil make the noise as it is not a cold start.

millerz08, Sep 25, 11:57pm
I did start a thread for this last week, but now it has been seen I unsure what to do now!

I think the mechaic should have kept it over night to try again the next day instead of returning it. I feel like an idiot, but certain that there is a noise. My husband and father inlaw have heard it.

intrade, Sep 26, 12:04am

millerz08, Sep 26, 12:10am
No not like that.
Its only there for a few seconds, but I can hear something for sure.

intrade, Sep 26, 12:11am
so its not that sound for a few secounds!

millerz08, Sep 26, 12:14am
x1
It could be similar, if it was only a few seconds. I relistened to the start of that again, its hard to compear them.

millerz08, Sep 26, 12:17am
No it doesnt have that rattle noise.

trdbzr, Sep 26, 12:21am
Have you tried to record that sound so you can show it to the mechanic!

intrade, Sep 26, 12:22am
beacsue if it is the sound then its likely one of your lifters not primed loads of new cars do this on first startup for 2 secounds nothing to worry solong as its gone within a few secounds.

millerz08, Sep 26, 1:00am
It has just gone back to another mechanic. They said its possibly the the oil pressure to the chain or something(which is uncommon for a car with that many kms) They are going to keep overnight to listen for the noise. I hope they can hear it, otherwise im going to look like a right idiot to the car yard.

Im sure the noise is not right, I have never heard the noise on any of my other cars before.

millerz08, Sep 26, 1:06am
Selenoid was thwe other thing they mentioned.

Just done a quick search for mazda chain noise.
This is the closest comparesion of the niose im hearing between 11-13second on clip. (Mine lasts about the same 2seconds) Im sure thats not normal!
http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=pq4QbjKLQGg

jandr12, Sep 26, 1:43am
I have a 2010 mazda 2 done 20kms and it doesnt make that noise

splinter67, Sep 26, 1:49am
When was the oil last changed!

millerz08, Sep 26, 1:50am
Yeah the mechanic we just spoke to said it shouldnt make the noise I described especially as it has only done 20,000km.

If there is an issue I want it sorted now while its under warrenty, and if its not a problem at least I have had it checked out. . . . twice lol.

The closest noise I can compear it to is the link I posted above.

millerz08, Sep 26, 1:52am
Serviced when I purchased about 3 weeks ago.

trader_84, Sep 26, 2:00am
What about . does it sound like this then! http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=vt4RPJBlhEg Because it could be your exhaust.

splinter67, Sep 26, 2:03am
Nah the demio has more power its a real; engine not a brap brap lol

millerz08, Sep 26, 2:19am
Not the exhaust its coming from the motor.

chebry, Sep 26, 2:57am
Sounds like lifter rattle just until oil pressure builds

fordkiwi27, Sep 26, 3:34am
oil isnt to thin for the motor!

millerz08, Sep 26, 4:19am
x1
Thats what my father in law was thinking when he heard it,
but mechanic it went to the other day (through the car yard, the one they use) said it wouldnt be the oil (they were the ones who serviced also).

gtf, Sep 26, 8:41am
How bout the air con unit!

outbidyou2, Sep 26, 9:17am
Timing chain! Wrong oil

franc123, Sep 26, 9:45am
The bits of this post in the brackets spook me the most. Whatsa bet theres a cheap crappy oil filter like a fram causing slow pressure build up involved here.

millerz08, Sep 26, 6:41pm
Its been in at the Mazda mechanic over night, Im hoping they hear the noise today.

The guy we spoke to mentioned the possiblity about a problem of oil pressure to the chain.
WIll have to wait and see what they say today. May be its a normal noise for a Mazda, then I will feel like an idiot.

I had 2005 Swift before this with very low kms, that was chain driven and I never heard the same noise. So it cant be a normal chain rattle surely!

Franc123yeah thats why I decided to take it somewhere else, at least its been looked at twice.
My Father in law looked at it last weekend, he thought it may have been an oil problem, like the oil was to thin, and draing away from the motor or something like that.