Question/advice/input re son needed

pge, Sep 15, 12:06am
Wifey's 1990 Celica, needs cambelt, CV, two CV boots, rocker-cover gasket, radiator, brakepads, heater/aircon and radio don't work. Also possible rust repair.

Replaced with RAV4 - little HONEY, (now that I have had clutch, cambelt, pads replaced, work needed reflected price paid).

Question:
Do We :
give the Celica to (coming-up) 21y.o. son, he can then spend the money, and have a reliable car,
OR :
flick said Celica on to some other poor sod
OR :
wreck

Our current reasoning:
Celica already known quantity
price is right (for him)
despite costs to be incurred, another car MIGHT need the same work
despite reputation, Celica is not terribly quick (auto)

Your input appreciated.

miss-shortae, Sep 15, 12:10am
flick it, someone may buy it and fix it up, or use it as a cheap run around to and from work

ceebee2, Sep 15, 1:29am
Question:
Do We :
give the Celica to (coming-up) 21y.o. son, he can then spend the money, and have a reliable car,

YES a good decision.

msigg, Sep 15, 1:55am
yes give him the celica.

supernova2, Sep 15, 1:59am
Most sillikas are driven by girls.Just a thought.

hi-ling, Sep 15, 2:01am
You spend the money to fix the celica at least then you know what you've got.
Buying budget priced second hand cars is normally pretty dicey and what you end up buying may be no better than the celica you got rid of.
Stick to the celica you have and fix her up

mechnificent, Sep 15, 3:18am
It depends on the son.

We need to know more about him.

pge, Sep 15, 4:29am
Although he's been quite gobby with me and mum in the past, he's quite reserved, is studying computers, looking to get a good job later-on, does not have a licence, has a good girlfriend.
He's been knocked into shape by her father, I think; his attitude has inproved out of sight, the guy is a Christian M/cyclist, being such, I doubt if he puts up with tanties/rudeness!
I think it's got to the stage where he will act responsibly, he appears to have matured hugely in the last year.

Thanks for your collective input.

His mum and I are of the opinion, he can have the car, got to get his licence, do the work on the car, he has actually expressed the idea, he will take it, then look to trading on a less-sporty, 4 door vehicle.

He appears to be starting to think like an adult.

edangus, Sep 15, 4:32am
No Licence - No Car

mechnificent, Sep 15, 4:34am
Then there is hope.

I've got a couple of sons, one would do the work, get it legal, sell it and make a profit.
The other would probably drive around till he got ticketed off the road.

Responsibility, as I'm sure you have noticed, can't be forced upon them, it has to be allowed and hopefully accepted.

We get there with patience.

Good luck.