Hey Jazz - replacement cost for 1.8T passat engine

ryanm2, Sep 14, 6:44am
any ballpark figures for a replacement engine and labour for 1.8T audi/vw engine!

a.woodrow, Sep 14, 6:50am
Saw one in Auckland for $350, not sure about labour but I would say maybe around 10 hours. I've got an audi a4 with the ADR motor that broke a cambelt, what's wrong with yours!

ryanm2, Sep 14, 6:54am
im looking at buying a passat that had low compression and now the oil light flashes (thats the description relayed to me via a women). Im looking at worst case scenario with an engine refit. I know they are prone to glugging up the oil lines causing internal damage, hopefully taken it for a drive tonight.

msigg, Sep 14, 7:13am
glugging up the oil ways dosn't sound very good. you would want to get it real cheap, fixing the engine $ be careful what you spend, they are not worth very much.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 14, 9:08am
To be straight up ryanm2 your guess is probably as good as mine on that one.
All I can say is they are pretty good to work on and I would think it shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement engine.
Just do the math and make sure it all adds up.
If it isn't blowing smoke it may be oilways clogging and/or and oil pump. 00quattro00 is probably the better guy to ask on that sort of thing. Likewise he may have a lead on a replacement engine.
Best of luck with your project!

00quattro00, Sep 14, 9:17am
The engine code you are looking for is aeb, used in the passat and audi a4/6, best to check it out your self, they are well know for sludging up and if the oil light is only just starting to flash you will probably get away with just cleaning it

00quattro00, Sep 14, 9:30am
As for labour costs if it did need a replacement I would charge $500 for the job, but im cheap

ryanm2, Sep 14, 7:34pm
looking at is this morning - im hoping its just sludge starving the engine of oil, will report back if its making any funky noises.

nzdoug, Sep 14, 7:40pm

ryanm2, Sep 14, 8:37pm
taken for a spin - drives fine. Just down on power and im guessing its in 'safe mode'. The engine is quite tickity tickity like a diesel, apart from the ticking there are no other noises of interest, certainly no clunking. Cylinder head im guessing has been starved of oil.