Getting more power out of nissan mistral

Page 1 / 2
kaspas, Oct 18, 6:14am
95 mistral td27t, wondering if feasable to install intercooler, boost control and gauge,would i get much more power! recently replaced injector pump and deleted egr with great results, wanting to go bit further, im thinking could use intercooler off a later model as they went intercooled efi!

intrade, Oct 18, 6:23am
yea you could you should also use a diesel additive so the pump and injectors wont get stuffed again.you dont need a boost gague but intercoolers always help the colder the air is the more power you get form a diesel wont be enourmus maybe 5hp

kaspas, Oct 18, 7:05am
good mineral based 2smoke oil is a good additive

mugenb20b, Oct 18, 7:30am
x1
Yep, fit an intercooler from a later model Mistral, fit a boost controller and gauge (to make sure turbo is behaving itself). It will make a huge difference.

mugenb20b, Oct 18, 7:31am
TD27 turbo makes 99hp, TD27 turbo with an intercooler (like the ones used in PR50 Terranos) make 125hp.

intrade, Oct 18, 7:33am
why would he need a boost gague fitting a intercooler changes nothing on how the charger works. its boosting till it overboosts and then the wastegate opens just like without a intercooler, only the hot air gets colder befor it gets to the engine. i dont recommend tempering with the boost setting of the turbo then you wont need anything else.

mugenb20b, Oct 18, 7:35am
If you can alter / adjust boost, you want a boost gauge.

jonthefisho, Oct 18, 4:31pm
x1
Fit a boost gauge, wind up the boost.
Watch it go bang.

snoopy221, Oct 18, 4:45pm
DID YA MISS DIESEL B4YA FLAPPED YA TRAP!
Yeah,,,,,,,,,,
i nibble at trollsL O L

kaspas, Oct 18, 6:19pm
x1
td27 pretty strong engine have to be a muppet to wind it far enough to gobang

bubbles244, Oct 18, 10:33pm
x1
1 intercooler from a 1998 onwards model.will bring down the EGT's

2 plate off the EGR valve.

3plumb waste gate actuator into intake manifold to get a true 12 p.s.i reading
4 you are lucky enough to have the pre ecu controlled engine. you can increase the boost and adjust the fuel manually. however i suggest leaving that bit to some one who knows how to do it as any egt higher then 600 will start the piston melting process.

5 custom dump pipe of the back of the turbo to help increase flow.

1ollie, Oct 18, 10:44pm
Bubbles244 has summed it up pretty well!
The TD27T's respond very well to being modified, you can get some nice power and torque gains!
An intercooler is the obvious first step but make sure you front mount it not on top of the motor where it will just heat up & nothing to large just a side mount one from a Skyline or something similar will do and yes a custom turbo dump/down pipe and a 2 & 1/2 mandrel exhaust will help with flow and keep egt's down

elect70, Oct 19, 2:53am
Dont muck about500 hpnitrous sytem is whats needed

kaspas, Oct 19, 3:47am
i have a space front left close to turbo as used to run duel batteries/ i removed 1 as found wasnt needed would this be ideal:place! looking at late model 1s they are a top mount under scoop
is trhis not suitable!

the-lada-dude, Oct 19, 4:19am
oh yeah !wow, isthat how you modify a menstral, what a joke. lets just booster up. oooh nice touch using a near totally useless std intercooler

kaspas, Oct 19, 4:39am
so how would you do it then! please elaborate

shakespeare6, Oct 19, 6:12am
x1
Been there just sold my onei had 97with the electronic enjector pump so had a bit more to start with.
I sacked the T2 turbo which was tired went for a T3 think it was from memery choped out the big centre muffler and prety much ran a straught pipe. opened up the air cleaner . It ran 12 psi boosti did that at 130000km 7 years ago and sold it at 260000 km a year ago still going strong. i ran no intercooler before the mod top speed was 140kat a pinch after easy 170 with plenty torque. Every one said it would blow that thing did a lot of towing, and been around the south island twice. Id do another td27 the same in a heartbeat

kaspas, Oct 19, 6:52am
did you increase pipe size or is standard enough!

shakespeare6, Oct 19, 7:24am
kept the exhaust pipe the same diameter , pulled out the big air cleaner can and made up a 4 inch air cleaner pipe extension to down where a second battery would be and put a pod filter on it . You need to use a good quality pod i put a shit repco one on first which fell apart and resulted in it being sucked into the turbo which then lead to theturbo upgrade . Just doing the exhaust and intake made a huge difference.

00quattro00, Oct 19, 8:11am
I have done some upgrades to my vw golf mk2 1.6td, fitted an intercooler, bigger exhaust, running 25psi of boost, shimmed the main govener spring and it rips, and still uses bugger all fuel

1ollie, Oct 19, 8:50am
You should probably try gain some basic knowledge on the subject before you comment as it will save you from making dumb arse comments in the future but I guess it is what's to be expected from someone with Lada in there name haha

1ollie, Oct 19, 8:53am
Top mounts get quite bad heat soak from the motor at stand still and low speeds and render them next to pointless even with a good setup sheild and bonnet vent but when they are front mounted you do not get that problem. You want to try get it in behind the grill somewhere ideally so it gets some airflow.

intrade, Oct 19, 8:59am
i seriusly want to know what you are hoping to gain from all this! its a 4x4 poofighter japadiesel it wont ever be fast nor powerfull as otherwise you dont know what fast and powerfull means on diesel.
Basic tweeks i could understand like adding a intercooler when it has none but thats all the time and money you would want to waste on that.

mugenb20b, Oct 19, 9:19am
That's true, but some manufacturers (Mitsubishi's 4M40 for example) have a cooling fan attached to the bottom of the intercooler to prevent that problem.

1ollie, Oct 19, 9:26am
Each to there own aye bud but in the end just as long as its not a dirty, expensive, slow and unreliable euro hunk of crap its all good!