Tiptronic auto's , & forgetting it's in "manual"

Page 1 / 2
gman35, Oct 17, 7:26am
How many of you guy's come to a set of lights / stop sign after driving in manual mode , and wonder why car is revving it's nuts off about 15 metres from starting off again before realising your "tiptronic" auto is stuck in first ! , it happens to me sometimes in my Mazda 3 and I wish it had some sort of beep once stopped , or after going very slowly , to remind me. Do some cars actually have a "do you know you are still in 1st" warning !

poppajn, Oct 17, 7:30am
Why drive it in manual in that situation!

gammelvind, Oct 17, 7:31am
Put it in auto, leave it there and don't be so silly.

gman35, Oct 17, 7:32am
May have just driven a hilly open-road section and in "manual" for the purpose of engine-braking / keeping in a lower gear for an upcoming hill etc

andrea_w, Oct 17, 7:36am
Seriously!!
You've put it in 1st. if you're not smart enough to remember that, that's not something a manufacturer should need to "fix" for you

How do you think real manual gearbox drivers get on! ;)

marblicious, Oct 17, 7:40am
Next you'll be saying you need reminding when your door isn't shut properly or your seatbelt isn't fastened. Oh hang on a minute!

kwkbrk, Oct 17, 7:53am
Its easier to do than you would think o judgemental ones !, and its worse if you come to a stop in 3rd then try to start again .
Any of you actually driven a Mazda 3 / 6 / Atenza and therefore feel competent to make comment !

stevo2, Oct 17, 7:56am
Yep, got a Maz3 and have done it a couple of times but I hardly ever use the tiptronic function as i believe the car performs as well if not better if left in drive.
And by the way, if you are going down a long hill, the auto changes down by itself to provide engine braking.

40wav, Oct 17, 7:58am
Have a little think about your own comment. When you read it, then read it again, it's actually quite silly and does not amount to much. YOU are in control of whatever type of car you are driving. If you are too stupid to remember you have placed it (manual/auto/tiptronic/whateve-
r) into first gear, maybe you should not be distracting yourself with a gearbox in the first place.

jason18, Oct 17, 8:01am
My tiptronic would automaticly switch to 2nd when left in 1st but would take the revs right up to 7k from memory.

stevo2, Oct 17, 8:04am
The mazdas a bit different. It will stay in whatever gear your put it in and not change up but if you have it in a higher gear and you drive to slowly for that gear, it will drop another gear automatically.

asa50, Oct 17, 8:37am
the rev limiter works as a "beep"

_frodo_, Oct 17, 8:53am
Most tip-tronics will select "1" automatically when the car is brought to a stop, so it is quite easy to forget its in manual mode until it pings on the rev limiter, so OP isn't as stupid as some posters ignorance to how the systems work.They change down to protect the engine, but not up - that's what the rev limiter is for.

motorboy2011, Oct 17, 8:58am
My old prelude would change itself into 2nd enen in manual mode, if you hit the rev limiter for a bit

gman35, Oct 17, 9:23am
Thanks for that , am not sure why some think I am "placing" it in 1st , it changes down to there automatically when stopping as you say.
Yes , I do realise what gear my MANUAL work van is in guys , because I have just put it into first myself.

mrfxit, Oct 17, 8:03pm
D'OH . Question!

WHO is the driver/ operator of this vehicle!

m16d, Oct 17, 8:12pm
Crikey. if you cant remember to change gear then dont use it, leave it in auto.
Wonder how many autos get stuffed by reving the snot out of in 1st all the time.

gman35, Oct 17, 8:47pm
Me , and I don't consider myself a bad driver (who does!) , but it is quite easy to forget that you have got it in manual mode once you stop , especially if you have not firstly needed to "change down" during a casual stop.

mrfxit, Oct 17, 9:00pm
Simple solution .
DON'T use it in manual mode for normal driving.
It's NOT very often for 95% of Auto drivers to NEED to use a manual mode gear change on an auto.

The manual mode was intended for things like .

Towing
Long down hill stretches with a load
Super slow traffic craws
Super tight winding roads
Grass /mud tracks
etc
etc

gman35, Oct 17, 9:43pm
I know ,my #4 post say's why I may have been in manual mode originally.

stevo2, Oct 18, 5:27am
And remember not to just leave it in 4th (in manual mode) when cruising because it revs higher than if you drop it back into auto mode. Perhaps the lock up torque converter doesnt lock up in manual mode.

vtecintegra, Oct 18, 5:52am
Doesn't it have a gear indicator right next to the speedometer!

headcat, Oct 18, 6:01am
You would think that a driver would consider that something was amiss before reaching 7 thousand revs.

gman35, Oct 18, 7:57am
#22 it does but only a small not very visible "M"
#23 not when it is as smooth and quiet as the 2.3 twin cam in our one (only been up to about 5thou anyway)

hawat, Oct 18, 8:02am
I use it when going fast through tight or hilly conditions OR when getting prepared to pass someone by dropping down to 2nd or 3rd. But then forget to put it back to auto and just get speed up to 100kms. Use lots of petrol and really only notice if I look at the tacho