Toyota Mark 2 Cressida SX80 1.8 Litre Question.

ema1, Oct 19, 9:59am
Is it an easy swap to replace the 4S-FE(1838cc) engine with the bigger 3S-FE (2000cc) engine.
Or even go to the 5S-FE(2,200cc) engine, even better!
The car is a 1993 year Toyota Corona Mark2 RWD model Cressida shape, in damn good nick but just wondering about a bit more power from a 2000cc engine being fitted!
Almost as powerful as the 1G-FE (2000cc)6 cylinder some of them came out with, but this one is a 4 cylinder, similar engine to the ST170-ST171 Corona's.
It is Automatic RWD model, I guess all the ECU and associated wiring loom would need to be swapped also!
Be bugger all cost involved as they are cheap enough now to puddle around with as a project.

a.woodrow, Oct 19, 10:04am
Biggest hassle would be the certification

chebry, Oct 19, 10:57am
Play the Toyota parts bin game a M series engine will fit your car I had a 74 MK2 Corona sedan with 2.6 ohc crown motor that was a fast car on the Huon highway your cars dna comes from this model I had a 2.2 6 cylinder motor in a 2door hardtop I had for parts it alaso had a steelcase 5speed manual I let the sedan and 5speed kit go for $550 to a young guy at work he had a 3.3 Falcon but he wanted something that would go I let him have a play in the Toymota and ge was happy as a sandboy just dont accelerate hard on corners I told him it would slam hard into first and just go usually sideways but of course he knew it all and scared himself.

ema1, Oct 27, 8:13am
Bumping, do any of the !S-FE Toyota engines swap over without much drama!
Just wondering if the engine from a Caldina 1999 2.0G (3S-FE) would bolt up to the automatic transmission in the RWD Corona MK2 with a 1.8 litre (4S-FE) fitted and would the ECU of the 4S-FE operate on the 3S-FE transplant, or would the 3S-FE ECU be required if indeed the above is able to be done.Gadgit would you know please!

r15, Oct 27, 8:45am
why waste your time with the 3sfe when for the same hassle you can have a 3SGE with 30% more power

probably the only thing you would 'technically' need a cert for is the increase in power & displacement.otherwise its just a newer replacment version of the original, with a fancy head in the 3SGE's case

ema1, Oct 27, 8:50am
I think the displacement increase of about 170cc would come within/under the requirement but power could be an issue with the 3S-GE that's why I mentioned the 3S-FE in particular as torque/power at lower revs is what I would be looking for.
I;d say possibly if there's no complication in a swap job probably engines in the same "family" would be permissible depending on % increases in capacity & power.
If they are a bolt up operation as I hope they could be then I don't think there would be a cert issue, but then again I could well be wrong!

a.woodrow, Oct 27, 9:04am
If you fit another engine of increased displacement, even from the same family of engine, certification is required

chebry, Oct 27, 9:45am
I was told cert needed if more than 20% size in crease

a.woodrow, Oct 27, 11:49am
thats the power increase you can make on the OE engine - up to 20% before needing certification, a larger displacement engine must be certified

snoopy221, Oct 27, 2:24pm
IF! gadgit was ere e'd say

Yp twill fit
But post #5
Ya juss know gadgit is rollin in a lexxiie hi ace aye!

phillip.weston, Oct 28, 5:57am
You can't use a FWD/transverse orientation S series engine (easily) in longitudinal (more so 'upright') configuration due to the massive tilt of the FWD engines. Best bet would be to grab a 3S-FE from a Crown Comfort or a late 90s Townace Noah, or better yet use an Altezza 3S-GE beams engine (along with its 6 speed manual box)

ema1, Oct 28, 8:31am
Yes that would make sense wasn't really aware of the FWD 3S-FE being on a greater slope compared to RWD set up, makes sense too to go the RWD vehicles fitted with 3S-FE like the RAV-4 even!
I guess they would have the same bolt up pattern throughout the Toyota S- Family engines!
A 3S-GE "Beams" would give it a bit more "snot" for sure!

ema1, Oct 28, 8:36am
Yo snoops .I knew that he's been pedaling a HiAce mit 1UZ-FE for a spell, it be able to tootle along good good like anything and he'd also have it well sorted too. Would have been a bit more than a nip n tuck fit up me thinks snoops.

ema1, Oct 28, 8:51am
3S-FE out of any RWD Toyota so fitted would probably be the one to go for and use it's auto trans as well seeing car is auto at present.

phillip.weston, Oct 28, 9:20am
RAV4 has a transverse engine layout.

ema1, Oct 28, 9:30am
I realized that and changed my next post a bit.