2008 yaris 1.5 sedan auto

Page 1 / 2
shorebee, Nov 3, 3:18am
are these any good!. anyone have any experience. I have an aurion for big trips and want a smaller car for urban commutes and this looks like small camry

trdbzr, Nov 3, 3:29am
A mate of mine has one, they are good reliable cars, enough power for everyday commuting and easy to park. Jazz will come along soon enough and start raving on alot of BS about how the Punto is better. Ignore him. Overall its a good car. Some other cars to consider would be Honda Jazz, Nissan Micra, Mazda 2, Ford Fiesta.

thejazzpianoma, Nov 3, 7:19am
Small engine, plus just 4 gears, plus a power/economy sapping torque converter and no real effort to make the vehicle efficient. This equals as you might expect an under performing and surprisingly thirsty little vehicle.

Plus you pay a big premium for it because of the badge on the front.

People who only rate their vehicles on whether they break or not think they are fantastic.

I am labeled a hater because I don't like vehicles like this which are sold on brand name alone. I will leave it up to you to decide.

You can buy a 2.0 litre FSI Golf which will be better on fuel even in town (seriously!) and is a million times better car for the same money, I suggest you drive one. If the Golf is too big don't buy the Polo unless you can afford the 2009 or newer model as its not up to snuff.

If you want a manual car the Grande Punto is a good option, but leave some cash in your pocket and spend around 12K on a nice example, no need to pay extra for a very new one. Don't buy the Punto if you want auto, the VW DSG is much better than Fiats Duo Logic.

Also, unless you have another family member that uses the other car at the same time, you will likely find that you will be more than happy with the Golf for long trips. Gone are the days when a car can't be comfortable and economical.

trdbzr, Nov 3, 7:29am
No you are labeled a hater because you are one eyed. You judge cars based on their brand name alone. For you anything Euro = Greatest thing on the planet and anything Japanese = Rubbish. Even the latest Consumer Reports in the US has listed Japanese cars as more reliable than most European cars. I think it was VW that was the highest rated Euro car for reliability and that came at number 14.

Google dsg problems and you will see that thousands of people have had problems with that gearbox. Jazz however, is recommending it to you. Now make up your mind about how much you should trust him and rely on his info.

mugenb20b, Nov 3, 8:24am
Small engine, 4 gears, yes. But, the rest is just a load of BS. Toyota is expensive, not as fuel efficient as some Euro cars, but it will be the cheapest car to own as it is least likely to give any problems for the next 10-15 years (talking about Yaris here, not other Toyotas). And, they won't depreciate as much as other cars. VW and Fiat will be more likely to give problems, so all the money you "save" on fuel will be spent keeping the POS on the road. If you want a reliable economical car, buy a Toyota Yaris or Honda Jazz ('09 +).

thejazzpianoma, Nov 3, 10:00am
Ahhh the two tired old complainers are at it again. Trying to convince everyone that anything that isn't a Toyota will break. Going for personal attacks instead of personal experience.

I don't need to google DSG problems, we have had 3 in the family now and all problem free. DSG transmissions are superbly reliable, and the statistics are their to prove it.

Depreciation on the age Golf we are discussing is excellent, in fact the 04-06 Golf has actually appreciated slightly in the last 2 years.

Poster one, you have a choice. You can think for yourself or be yet another victim of those who just repeat tired and untrue mantra's. These knuckle draggers have never owned one themselves and have no real idea what they are talking about. I have owned/driven/repaired/serviced-
several Toyota's as well as VW's. There is nothing special about a Toyota that makes them more reliable. Parts are actually quite pricey too, especially anything that isn't a straight service item.

fordcrzy, Nov 3, 10:16am
i'm not trying to be funny but why not save yourself the 15 grand and just use the aurion for the commute!
any extra fuel used by the bigger car is going to be far less than the cost of keeping a second car running with rego/wof /insurance and maintenance.keep the 15K in the bank and use the interest to top up your fuel bill.

trdbzr, Nov 3, 11:06am
being delusional as usual arent you jazz, there have been so many instances where japanese cars have been proven to be far more reliable than european cars and been proven to provide more bang for your buck and you tend to bolt from those threads ie reliability index thread, mazda 6 thread etc, besides all the OP has to do is google dsg problems and they will realize you are just full of shit, you blindly preach to everyone and when people have told you to put your money where your mouth is, you start coming up with every excuse under the sun . the fact is that you're just the same type of person as scotty, you think your shit doesnt stink and that you are somehow better than everyone else because you drive a certain type of car . and no i've never said euro cars are crap, a large majority of them are simply over rated

trdbzr, Nov 3, 11:13am
This report is the 2011 Consumer Reports USA on car reliability. Guess what brands are in the top 10. Also if anyone isn't sure, Scion is owned by Toyota. This is called facts jazz, now run off into your delusional little world

http://m.smh.com.au/drive/motor-news/revealed-the-most-reliable-cars-20111028-1mn7b.html

johnf_456, Nov 3, 5:50pm
And I was just thinking how quiet "hes" been!

ceebee2, Nov 3, 6:40pm
LOL.I luuuuv it

thejazzpianoma, Nov 3, 9:17pm
trdbzr Toyota mostly makes cars with old technology and few features, as a brand of course they will have a slight edge on reliability its simple physics. However the slight edge in economy is not worth throwing 80% of the vehicles airbags away for along with other comfort, economy and safety features.

When Toyota try and make a more sophisticated vehicle on a budget they don't do any better than anyone else.

Even with throwing away anything that isn't completely necessary and retaining old technology their Yaris/Vitz is not even close to as reliable as a comparatively sophisticated Volvo S40
http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/232 http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/200 The supposedly unreliable DSG which Toyota is scrambling to clone and produce is also more reliable than what Toyota are using in the Yaris despite Toyota's being ancient technology with huge economy compromises. Look at the transmission rating: http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/216
Compare that to the Avensis which is also produced with a reasonable amount of auto transmissions.

http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/189

You are just another duche who plays on the fears of people who are not "car people" in an effort to flog off over priced Japanese rubbish. Rubbish that can't compete unless people make up stories about everything else being unreliable.

People like you cause others to spend a fortune on capital outlay and fuel in return for a vehicle with less safety, performance and comfort.

Blab on all you want, I will let you have the last word, because anyone with half a brain can compare the Golf and the Yaris and see where the value is. Its really only this country that's been brain washed enough to sell them both for a similar price secondhand. The Golf is after all the third most popular vehicle of all time, hardly oddball and unreliable.

freedomaira320, Nov 3, 9:29pm
I love European cars, but if the choice was between a Yaris and a VW or Fiat, I'd go the Toyota any day. The fact that its is a small practical car that is being considered means that reliability, serviceability and usability will probably over-shadow style and brand, and Toyota wins there.

Having said that, I'd avoid the sedan version. Its practicality does not compensate for its ugliness.

kazbanz, Nov 3, 9:37pm
Hi Shorebee. The posts above are an age old fight about jap vs euro cars. please ignore the viterol from those involved

You want a direct answer to your question
To answer your question exactly - YES the 2008 Yaris is a good solid reliable car with NO known vices or issues.The technology in it has been around since 1999 in Japan (2000 in NZ)

trdbzr, Nov 3, 10:17pm
Its seems like the entire world must be delusional considering that Japanese cars have always been rated as far more reliable than european cars, and only you can see through this lie . Like i said, delusional much!

Besides why dont u compare apples to apples! Volvo s40 is a diffrent car and a yaris is a diffrent car, why not compare a yaris with a euro equivalent! Let me guess, its only because you couldnt find any that was rated more reliable than the yaris. Cherry picking as always.

Besides if Toyota makes a gearbox its likely to be FAR more reliable than what the euro makers have done. Besides, considering you were banging on about the new Avensis having a 4 speed auto when infact it has a 7 speed cvt and then bolting from the thread when it was proven to you, its quite obvious you're good at spilling drivel not facts.

If euro cars were that great and that reliable then after so many decades why are they not at the top of the ladder! Its must be a global japanese brainwashing conspiracy to take over the world! Lucky you had your tinfoil hat on and werent brainwashed! You are worlds last hope! . Youre such a idiot that you believed a 'revolution' was coming and everyone was starting to buy euros by the handful, and what was the evidence for this 'fact'! On some random day in some random parking spot in Tauranga you saw some more euro cars than usual.

Now be sure to refill that airfreshner you have stuck on your arse 24/7.

vtecintegra, Nov 3, 10:36pm
I'd strongly consider the hatch model though, its more compact and less awkward looking but also more practical.

They also seem to drive a bit nicer, but that may just be I've driven more higher spec hatches and poverty pack sedans

mugenb20b, Nov 3, 11:22pm
No, not at all. I just hate to see people waste their money.

shelleigh, Nov 3, 11:26pm
OP I don't know how reliable the following website is but it has which model VW's with DSG were affected -
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/28/vw-has-more-problems-with-its-dsg-transmission/ After reading on here, looking at car reviews on websites like www.topgear.com and speaking with mechanics, I have decided I will probably replace my '96 Corolla wagon with a Mk5 Golf wagon.
Many people say Euro cars cost money yet in the past 6 months or so I have seen more and more Golf and Polo hatches.
Two things I will be making sure of when I do buy my Euro is that it has NOT come via Japan and that full service records come with it.

vtecintegra, Nov 3, 11:29pm
Better Japan than Singapore (which is like Japan but with higher humidity)

richardmayes, Nov 3, 11:33pm
I guess if you drive in the central city all day then a smaller car with a 1.5 engine would appeal for ease of parking, shooting gaps etc.

But TBH I think the popularity of horrible little 'bare minimum' type cars (Yaris/ Sirion/ Starlet/ Micra/ etc) simply shows how masochistic a lot of people are!

Get a Corolla. Get the 1800cc one.

kazbanz, Nov 4, 12:30am
Shorebee I MUST repeat what another poster has said. Which is in essence
Why incur the cost of ANY car in the $8000-15000 range to save money! Unless you do a LOT of inner city commuting then its going to take a very long time for the extracost of running the Aurion to catch up with the cost of buying,insuring registering and running a second car.

trdbzr, Nov 4, 1:00am
Cherry picking as usual. Change it to compare current models and see what comes up
http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/201 http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/231 Now look at the Golf you were raving about, no I wonder why you didn't choose to compare this to Yaris considering a S40 is in a different car category altogetherhttp://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/216
And here is the Punto you were recommending
http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/47 Now maybe the new thing you can do is to start clutching at straws rather than cherry picking
Even Aston Martin chose a Toyota over all the rubbish you normally recommend
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/motoring/news/article.cfm!c_id=9&objectid=10763617

shorebee, Nov 4, 1:09am
cheers guys and gals, my inner city park is quite tight for the aurion and the yaris looks like a smaller one, I like the shape and its 13k done 60k so i think its a bargain and teh aurion will be weekends and trips.

ringo2, Nov 4, 1:21am
You could have a look at a 1500 cc Hyundai Getz. Slightly cheaper than the Yaris/Echo but better looking and nicer inside. And very reliable. Had one for 6 years and had no problems at all. Have just replaced it with a Hyundai Elantra.

kazbanz, Nov 4, 2:12am
come over to the dark side. (bikes) then youll never have another parking problem.