jmma, Jan 26, 7:21am
Bumping for tiggles (o:

skin1235, Feb 10, 10:58am
and another bump, any joy with this one yet tiggles

skin1235, Feb 25, 2:15am
hello
what has happened about this!

tiggles2, Oct 28, 8:42am
Can a clutch slave cylinder that locks (but is not leaking) cease a new thrust / release bearing.

tiggles2, Oct 28, 8:42am
Can a clutch slave cylinder that appeared to have locked when pedal pushed in (did not leak any fluid) cease a new thrust / release bearing. My thoughts are a incorrectly installed release bearing jammed the slave cylinder arm when it ceased due to incorrect installation. Thoughts please

skin1235, Oct 28, 9:08am
if you mean seized then as long as the slave is working correctly then NO, but if the master is not working correctly then the slave may not return, and that will quickly seize the thrust bearing - they do not have a replenishing supply of lube as they don't normally need to be engaged for long periods
the heat produced in 10 minutes of full applied pressure would destroy the bearings in them ( 10 minutes is an estimate - certainly wouldn't be much longer - riding the pedal is not full pressure and that can destroy them in a few short months

skin1235, Oct 28, 9:10am
hard to imgine how anyone could put it back together in such a way to actually jam the slave in extended, it is possible to mount the thrust wrongly on the slide though - it makes it slow to return - but it will return

skull, Oct 28, 9:15am
Your theory is possible OP, the release bearing or release arm would probably have had to be incorrectly installed in such a way as to cause the slave cylinder to extend the piston further out that specifications allow. The piston could then rock and jam, I doubt it would seize if the whole piston was confined inside the slave cylinder with pedal fully depressed.

tiggles2, Oct 28, 9:21am
I'll try and explain more - I have a 9 ton horse truck - 4 weeks ago I traveled 82 km at between 60 & 90 KMPH. I do not ride the clutch. Pulled up went to put into reverse and had no gears to select. (truck have traveled very smoothly) called out mechanic - truck in shop. Internal bits of gear box broken so replaced. Asked for full new clutch kit at time ( and was charged for one)
less than 500kms later pull up and have the clutch pedal goes flop
call out same mechanic who climbs under truck and looks at slave - there is an arm stuck out - pulls dust cover off and gets covered in clutch fluid - no leaks. Then pulls dust cover off where fork goes into gear box bit ( not good on words here) and says the springs have come off !
Truck back to shop where told slave cylinder had locked and caused the new thrust bearing to seize.
Now having thought about it and read a little on the net it is not adding up. The old slave cylinder did not leak, was not pitted etc. So confused to why a brand new bearing would seize so shortly after installation. I don't know much about engines etc but my logical brain is not happy - it does not add up - hence the question and thoughts TIA
And the master cylinder appears to be fine - no leaks or noise or visual damage. Truck now drives fine except clutch is quite light

jmma, Oct 28, 9:36am
Pulls dust cover off and gets covered in fluid, Thats a leak!

Sounds like release brg not fitted correctly.

skin1235, Oct 28, 9:44am
or the retaining springs that hold the thrust to the fork not fitted right - allows the thrust and carrier to turn, usually quite destructive and noisy though, is possible that the thrust moved off the pivots and thus the slave over extended , no pressure to return it

skin1235, Oct 28, 9:46am
seems the job would be on him wouldn't it, 500 km after he fitted it
you should not be billed for it or parts to remedy it

if it was refitted by him

tiggles2, Oct 28, 9:47am
Sorry not clear - when he pulled the little dust cover off he then pulled the arm with the stopper thing on the end of it out of the slave cylinder that's where the fluid was - behind the stopper thing. He said it was not leaking but it had stuck out as gone past where it should and that's why the pedal was floppy. Does that make sense!

skin1235, Oct 28, 9:49am
yes, over extended, should not be able to happen unless either the thrust has shifted off the pivots or the arm has come off the ball

who repaired it 500 km ago

tiggles2, Oct 28, 9:49am
Both jobs done by same company - paid for both - no change from 5k - 1st 3.5k 2nd 1.6k. He insisted that the slave cylinder had caused the new release bearing to seize. It just does not make logical math

jmma, Oct 28, 9:50am
That makes sense, but why it come out that far is the problem.

tiggles2, Oct 28, 9:51am
I don't think I am allowed to name on here - small BOP town with big lake - big company who do tractors etc as well

skin1235, Oct 28, 9:53am
go to the manager, a clutch job should not fail in 500 km, the 1600 should be reimbursed

tiggles2, Oct 28, 9:54am
My concerns now are that what else can go wrong. Truck drives nice and is quiet. Clutch is light - but that might just be me. It engages about quickly and smoothly, no noise, grabbing, slipping etc at the minute. BUT I am about to travel over 9000kms this season with horses and kids on board so am now wary. Hence asking on here as the info is really helpful - thank you

tiggles2, Oct 28, 9:57am
Have started a letter to the manager who was "not available" when I picked up my truck - which is cash only or no truck and I was out of my depth to argue. In hind sight ( which is a great thing) I should have - but did not have enough understanding or info.

jmma, Oct 28, 9:57am
Clutch now feels light, which is OK.
But suggests it was heavier after first job. Maybe was a pressure plate problem!and they covering there arse.
If they are a member of MTA, I would suggest ring them.
Make a lot of noise, whatever you do, they replaced the clutch, in any case should have glanced at the slave cyl.

skin1235, Oct 28, 9:59am
there is the point that if it had been fitted correctly in the first place the slave would not have been able to over extend and cause the second breakdown

that should be recognised in some way ie reimbursed

as for the future, the clutch is now lighter you believe, that could well mean he got it right on the 3rd try and you'll have no further issues