Insurance question. Hi all hope you can give me some thoughts lets say a person owns a motorcycle that barely if ever gets used

kaymay88, Nov 3, 10:10am
Hi all, hope you can give me some thoughts.

Lets say a person owns a motorcycle that barely, if ever gets used. the kms are kept very low, and they keep it because of its sentimental value.

The want to keep it in a glass case in their lounge as a show piece because it seems criminal to have it in the garage where it cant be looked at all the time. The person may intend to ride it once or twice a year, but its really more ornamental than anything else.

Is it possible to have this thing covered by house and contents insurance!

princesspossum, Nov 3, 10:19am
I am fairly certain that it would still have to be covered under a separate vehicle policy. If it was never ridden at all, and not registered etc then you *may* be able to class it as a sculpture or something and specify it on your policy, but depending on the value of the bike it may cost extra.

pebbles61, Nov 3, 10:21am
Is it an older bike! A classic car/bike insurance company would be your best bet as they do 'lay-up' insurance at a cheaper rate (i.e. for people doing resto work etc, so the car/bike is still insured but of course not being used)

don1751, Nov 4, 1:13am
You could cover it under your household contents insurance as a specified item. Ring your insurer and ask for their advice.

kaymay88, Nov 4, 7:54am
thanks people, I will have a talk with the ins. co.s.