Honda gl145 running badly

glyn4, Nov 18, 3:06am
Hope someone can help. My son just bought a small GL145 Honda and it will not run and keeps cutting out. I have checked the valves, points gap it has fresh gas and a good plug. Battery is OK. Plenty of compression and the bike has done under 20K. Oil looks fine too. The condensor is pretty rusty on the outside and I'm wondering if that could be an issue. Also it has been sitting out in the rain for a while before he bought it. It will run for about 30 seconds but keeps missing badly and eventually just stops. All electrics look OK but maybe the main ignition coil is on the way out!

mechnificent, Nov 18, 3:23am
Have you cleaned the carby!
Sounds like that would be the next thing to do.

You could also check the exhaust isn't blocked by mason bees, and that the air cleaner isn't dirty.
Also, does it start again easily! When it is stops have you tried pulling the spark plug straight away and seeing if it's covered in petrol and whether there is a spark still. you would need to be quick probably though to check whether the spark is dying. If you could borrow a timing light, you could run it with that going, and see if the spark is regular when it is misfiring, and whether the spark stops and causes the motor to stop running.

greenwing, Nov 18, 4:11am
Could be water in the carb - should be a drain plug in the bottom of float bowl. Catch the petrol coming out to check, you can't mistake the water. Also if its been sitting a while, the carb jets may need cleaning, all accessible by taking the float bowl off - just blow thru them, don't use wire. Doubtful if its coil or condensor, I've never had one fail on a japanese bike and I've been riding/fixing them since the early seventies.

kazbanz, Nov 18, 5:17am
My first thought is stuck float valve in the carby due to standing.Second is waster in the carb/tank.Third is stuck fuel tap.
What I would do.
1) empty the tank till its dry into your car. Remove the fuel tap and make sure the filter on it is clean (the one inside the tank)
2) remove the carb. Remove the float bowl and clean out the jets and float valve--make sure it moves freely.-Often theres a mesh filter inside the needle valve.
3)Pour fresh gas into the tank.
Do that and the bike should run just fine

mechnificent, Nov 18, 5:57am
I'd check the exhaust for blockages first. cause it's easier, and can cause the thirty second symptom.

Then the tap, then the float as Kaz says.