Quad bikes question

clanky, Nov 25, 7:18am
Are there any good reasons why all quad bikes have thumb operated throttles and not twist grips! Also, is it possible to convert a thumb throttle to a twist grip! If not, why not! TIA.

skin1235, Nov 25, 7:50am
easy to convert, most use a similar sized inner cable for the thumb as you'd find in a twist

as for reason - its definitely a safer way to ride a quad - the rest of your hand has a firm grip on a stable member and you can control the quad a lot better, also allows for walk alongside ( which happens a lot - think cows in a race, or too dam steep to stay on it, very handy when getting the quad out of the creek too - you cannot lift and twist at the same time but you can lift and move your thumb

wind.turbine, Nov 25, 8:36am
the reason is that it is safer as you can hold on better
if your holding on to something the turns you are going to have no control.
2 wheelers are not the same as you don't have to steer to get around corners but on a quad you have to physically turn the handle bars.
I could imagine trying to turn a tight corner with the type of throttle as you would not be able to governor it properly.
If you look at a well used quad that gets used every day on a big hilly farm and it does all the farm spreading.im talking 700 cow farm.
All the fert is put on by a grizzly 700 and the handle bar grips need replacing every 6 months as no joke they have no grip left on them as they are so well used.
Using a twist grip on a bike like that would just not work for so many reasons

ralphdog1, Nov 25, 8:40am
OP, as a long time motorcycle rider I always looked at quad throttles and thought they were a bit odd.
But do not worry, I now have a quad and they are good for all the reasons mentioned by posters 2 & 3.
Especially the moving it whilst you are not on it thru gates etc.

Edited for crap spelling

sr2, Nov 25, 8:54am
Great explanation; every time I jump on a Quad (as a long time dirt bike rider) I feel slightly uncomfortable using the thumb throttle but have to admit that full sideways on opposite lock with a twist grip just wouldn??

daryl14, Nov 25, 6:02pm
skin1235 wrote:
your hand has a firm grip on a stable member

He he. Get ya hand off it skin.

beart0y, Nov 25, 7:29pm
Google "EZY THROTTLE"

tazcsv, Nov 25, 8:34pm
Iv looked at this alot for my Tecate and from the forums iv looked at the serious racers still prefer thumb over twist as you have more control on corners and rough ground.

clanky, Nov 26, 5:02am
Many thanks for that, just curious.