Unbeatabull, You about. Ford question for you.

gunhand, Nov 27, 5:05am
Will give you run down if you show up.Hopefully its something you guys up there have dealt with and can give some advice.
Cheers.
Its failed attempt at fixing leak inAU XR6 VCT unit.I beleave there may some trick to it.

unbeatabull, Nov 27, 5:19am
Im here!

gunhand, Nov 27, 5:20am
Excellent. Firstly have you had experince with the leaking VCT cover on AUs!

unbeatabull, Nov 27, 5:22am
Which part you talking! The front main timing chain cover! or!

gunhand, Nov 27, 5:23am
As above LOL. But, yep.

unbeatabull, Nov 27, 5:23am
Where abouts is it actually leaking out of!

gunhand, Nov 27, 5:26am
It first showed up after a long trip few weeks back. Cleaned it up and kept an eye on it. Appeared to be that VCT module.
Took it to mechanic who repalced 3 gaskets but it still leaks. He thinks through the bolts. But its going for a third attempt next week. Is there a trick to it!

unbeatabull, Nov 27, 5:28am
The front cover yes. The bolts bottom out slightly so if not sealed up 110% right it won't seal and will still leak. We use to cut around 2-3 threads off each of the bolts holding the front cover on.

Have also seen them leaking out of the banjo washers and on the oil feed to the VCT - simple case of replacing the washers, and on the other side the bronze fitting putting thread tape around or other thread sealant.

The front covers can be a bitch to seal up. You have to get it 110% clean first, and use a decent sealant. Clear silicone generally isn't up to it. We usually use either Loctice Grey Maxx or (I think it is 3M) Black RTV Sealant, we have found them to work best, and leave for a good hour or so to set.

unbeatabull, Nov 27, 5:28am
Also worth doing front Crank seal while the cover is off.

gunhand, Nov 27, 5:36am
Oh, Ok cool.From what ive read they are a pain in the butt.He repalced the rocker cover gasket since it was off and two others. Ford ones.
It was an hour job so not a biggy but when he told me I needed the Switch thing on the end of it (at $500) I didnt think that sounded right so I put tin foil around it for 3 days and it was as dry as a bone when I took it off but the the leak appeared to be still coming from the bolts. The top right one and maybe the bottom one. Hard to tell as oil runs down a. But I checked it after every short trip to catch the leak.On a longer trip it gets on th belts and sprays it on that switch so thats why he thought it may be that.Geez even I could figure out what was going on.

supernova2, Nov 27, 5:43am
GUn, cleanit all up and spray it with 300 coats of 2K clear.That should seal it up nicely.LOL

unbeatabull, Nov 27, 5:44am
Yup, we use to shorten the bolts slightly as the bottomed out inside the head/block and didn't pull tight.

gunhand, Nov 27, 5:45am
Yeeeeaaaa, if it come to that lol.

gunhand, Nov 27, 5:46am
Cheer and thanks for that I shall pass it on to him. Prob didn't help that he hadnt done or seen one leaking before.