Thinking of buying a honda oddysey 1999

tigga212, Dec 2, 3:59am
for our extending family lol, has anyone got one, any major probelm's etc we should be aware of (the one we're looking at is a 2wd) just wanting to know abit more imformation on these people movers. TIA :)

intrade, Dec 2, 4:08am
i would not risk it if you want something reliable you would want a good condition townace noha with 4 cilinder petrol engine.

mugenb20b, Dec 2, 4:09am
RA1 or RA6 chassis! Also, what engine! I have the '95 model with a 2.2 litre engine, no problems at all since I've had it, only maintenance items.

Odyssey has the same drivetrain as the Accord and is only let down by its weak transmission. The models to avoid are V6s and 4wds. I do a drain and a refill on my transmission twice a year, which should improve its lifespan.

tigga212, Dec 2, 4:14am
its a 2.3 ltr has just had cambelt done

tigga212, Dec 2, 4:22am
Listing #: 536528692 here is the oddyesey we're looking at went & viewed it today, thinking of taking it for a test drive on Monday or Tues

mugenb20b, Dec 2, 4:25am
That will be the V Tec motor. Like I said, good cars, but '99 is getting a bit old, so hopefully the price reflects that. They don't have any major problems that I'm aware of, except the transmission. Make sure it's not slipping in any gears or that it's flaring between the gear changes. They are a bit clunky though.

Another vehicle that's similar in size to the Odyssey is a Toyota Ipsum 2001 + shape with a 2.4 litre engine.

Someone suggested a Townace Noah.they are good, but it's still just a damn van with poor handling, so if you want to clean vomit every day, that's the car for you.

mugenb20b, Dec 2, 4:29am
That's a huge step above the older shape, much nicer in every way. If you are happy with the car, get a mechanic to check it out before handing any money over.

tigga212, Dec 2, 4:35am
we relise it is a older car :) big step fom what i have now currently have a 92 honda domani & had nothing but trouble with it dizzy x2 water pump raditior. def like the shape more than the 95 -96 model - i do really like the later model toyota ipsum but they are out of our price range.

mugenb20b, Dec 2, 6:32am
Fair enough, basically a car in the $5k price range will end up being really good or a lemon, so get it checked out thoroughly.

As for Honda Domani, it's a Civic with a different look. They are known to give dizzy problems, but if they get replaced with second hand ones.well.Also, water pumps and radiators failing, it's a maintenance thing, if no one touched them in over a decade, they are bound to leak / fail.

tigga212, Dec 2, 6:49am
thank's for your help, will most likly take the oddsey for a test drive tues,

as for the domani, i brought it 1-2 years ago for 1800 privert sale, about a month later dizzy & other stuff went in it cost me another 1200 on repairs from a mechanic since than i've had to replace 2 tyres & get a wheel alighment :( (i hit the fence & had to replace 2 steering racks) another wheel alighment needs done just havnet gotg round to it. it has cost me alot over thealmost 2 years i've had it

ianalice1, Dec 3, 7:12am
We have a 1999 2.2 Vtech. Had almost 7 years now and been real good. Apart from normal service, tires, last about 5 years each, breaks and a battery. Best car we have had. I realise it is getting on, a bit, but looked after they are great.

a18a, Dec 3, 8:25am
vehicles from 1999 are already old! that makes me feel old too! I thought they where still pretty new

ianalice1, Dec 3, 6:03pm
True. That makes me real old!
As long as it's look after and well service. 1999 not that old.
Look at the vintage cars, better nick, than ours

kazbanz, Dec 3, 6:57pm
OP--The odditty you are looking at is the first of the second generation odditties.Darn good vehicle with no real vices to worry about in the 2.3 v tec. Cam belt(s-theres two of em) replaced is a good start.
Don't panic about this list because its all pretty infrequent- The front engine mount on these is prone to breaking -A good PP will pick that up.Central locking motors die and the SRS light first flickers on then comes on which is a minor wire in the seat/seatbelt buckle that breaks