Question regarding smokiness

knipey, Dec 5, 4:13am
Hi, I know very little about cars so I was wondering if I could get someones opinion on something. Sorry if it is a little long winded, I want to be thorough.

My old automatic 2 litre 1994 Galant has been going through quite a lot of oil recently. I keep it topped up, and had assumed it has something to do with leaky piston rings. There is oil residue on the exhaust pipe and some on the motor. I know I should get it fixed, but the car really isn't worth spending much money on, I plan to buy something much nicer soon.

Normally it runs fine, but once a few days ago I was caught in traffic for around 20 minutes barely moving and it started smoking quite noticeably. I've read that could be a symptom of worn valve guides, along with smoking on start up, which I haven't noticed.And another incident a few weeks ago, I had to drive up a steep road in Christchuch up to the Sign of the Takehe in the Port Hills. As it was steep, I put the car into 2nd and it smoked like a coal train going up. I was worried the car was about to die, but on the drive down and back home it was fine, no smoking at all. And since then, the only time smoking has been an issue is that one time in traffic. And maybe one other thing, the other day it was raining and while I was waiting at the traffic lights, the rain on my bonnet/hood was steaming noticeably. I don't know if that is a sign of overheating. But my Temp gauge was normal.

My question is, do you think it will be ok to take it for a 3 hour drive going 100 kmh! It has been fine going to and from work for half an hour every day.But I'm just wondering, based on what I've told you, if my motor is likely to explode if I drive down to Tekapo from Christchurch for a rare family gathering. I'm half tempted to just hire a car rather than risk blowing mine up on a long trip.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. I'm driving home now, I'll be back on later to see if anyone has answered.

Thanks

the-lada-dude, Dec 5, 4:47am
give it an oil change, and oil filter,check the drive belts, and fluids, check your tyre pressures and I would say the run will do it good ! mmmm .if you wanted probably the spark plugs may need attention.shit ! where do you stop !

lombax, Dec 5, 4:51am
sounds like worn piston rings,depending on how much oil your using,and its not makin any knockingsounds etc,it will be fine for the trip as long as you dont mind a little smoke,it wont blow,if anything your engine will cease up,no oil left in the sump ,and the steam on the bonnet is common when its raining,

andy61, Dec 5, 5:02am
If you drive it to Tekapo,you will need to keep the oil topped up,maybe a stop at Geraldine to check and top up.I would hate to be following you,the smoke and stink of a smoky Mitsi!

knipey, Dec 5, 5:33am
Cheers for the intel guys. Don't worry andy, it has only smoked twice, and in unusual circumstances. When I took it on a blast out to Rangiora it didn't smoke at all, so I'm hoping it will be ok. If it does start smoking like a train I'll park it up and get my sister from Timaru to come get me.

I'm looking forward to getting something newer, but this Mitsi has seen me through some sticky situations after the quakes. I tried to avoid the huge traffic jams by taking the back roads of Bromley home after the Feb quake, ended up in a flooded area with downed power lines and cars nose down in sink holes, while the water was up to my doors hiding what was in the road ahead. Plus there were dodgy biker dudes checking out all the abandoned shops eyeballing me as I went by. Interesting times, but it served me well.