Spare tyre regulations question

mercartin, Dec 20, 2:14am
I bought a 2006 vehicle a year and a half ago. I have had 1 flat tyre and the spare got put on. I had to go to get a new tyre for another wheel today. The man at the tyre shop said that the spare tyre - (still on the car) was a size smaller than the others. As my car isunder a warranty I have paid for I rang the dealer and was told that I should have put the fixed tyre back on and the spare in the boot.He said VTNZ rules say that you don't have to have tyres the same size. The tyre shop man disagrees. I am not happy if this has contributed to the other tyre being virtually bald in such a short space of time. What do you think. Was I fobbed off by the dealers!

neville48, Dec 20, 2:22am
Yep, put the spare back in the boot and the repaired, same size tyre, back on the car. If all tyres have to be the same including the spare then how do you get away with a space saver !

elect70, Dec 20, 2:29am
Been common practice for years, saves boot space .dont need265X19alloywheel/tyre asspare ,its only to get you home ornearest tyre shop , not tocontinue to use for dailyuse . . Many havelittle space saversor no spare at alljust run flat tyres .

franc123, Dec 20, 8:02am
Someone has fitted the wrong size tyres as a replacement at some point, not uncommon and often done by people that should know better. It usually happens when a tyre shop doesn't have the right size in stock and offers a lazy alternative in the form of something they have got in stock that will fit and they want to get rid of, or if the tyre is an unusual size and/or expensive and/or they can't obtain it and the owner baulks at the cost. Find out first what size it should have on it, there is on most cars a label around the drivers door area that states this, and find out how many tyres are wrong and replace them accordingly. Different size tyres shouldn't be mixed at any time, you were lied to, is only temporary use tyres where this is permissable, and only until the right wheel and tyre can be fixed or replaced. Tyres are also not covered by warranties, if the tyre has worn all the way across, its done its life simple as that, if it hasn't then there is an alignment or perhaps a pressure or balance or lack of rotation issue.oh and VTNZ don't make WOF rules, they're an issuer and not an authority on anything, its NZTA that administers that.

mrfxit, Dec 20, 8:38am
WE . (knowledgeable TM traders) have been through the regs a little while ago with a fine tooth comb about this very subject.

A spare wheel.

#1 IF carried within the vehicle (boot etc) & the boot compartment isn't isolated by a fixed steel panel separating the boot from the passenger compartment, THEN the spare wheel MUST be secured (bolted/ secure suitable type strap).
#2 If carried outside of the vehicle, (underneath/ back window etc) then it must be secured.
#3 The spare wheel does not need to be warrentable or of the same type or wheel stud pattern or inflated or rubber intact (proviso's of all of the above)

mrfxit, Dec 20, 8:42am
Fitting 2 very different height tyres WILL effect your suspension geometry more then can be acceptable.
By driving for any reasonable amount of time as you have suggested, YOU may have caused at least part of the extra wear yourself, IF the they were on the same axle.
You CAN run 2 different height tyres (2 pair) with no ill effects as long as the vehicle is a 2 wheel drive & the tyres are on the same axle

kcf, Dec 20, 7:13pm
Tyre shop guy is incorrect.VTNZ guy is correct.No fault by the dealer.

mrfxit, Dec 20, 7:52pm
Simplistic & correct

bellky, Dec 20, 7:57pm
Link to legislation! (VIRM)

intrade, Dec 20, 8:04pm
the tyre in the boot is not for constantly driving on, you can get a wof with no spare tyre . if i was you i would make the spare the same as the others but its not the dealers problem its only for driving from the brakedown place to the tyre repair shop and there the original is fitted back on. thats how it is in real.

kazbanz, Dec 20, 8:10pm
OP -cool your jets for a bit.
First of all what make/model is your car! factory wheels or after market!
Second thing is -Your tyre shop guy is WRONG.
Think it through.-If he was correct then ALLcars with space saver tyres as spares would be illegal
Thats without even concidering the cars with different sized wheels on the front and back.
Then you need to think about people who buy big after market rims and fit them.Every time you buy new rims you'll need a new spare--even if it does actually fit in the hole
So Im sorry but YOU were the person who is wrong in this case.