Driving lessons and test Manual or Auto?

dijones, Dec 27, 1:56am
What do most people learn and take the test in!

berg, Dec 27, 2:12am
Use a manual if they can properly drive a manual but if they are having issues an auto will help as they only have to worry about two pedals and the road rules rather than changing gears and road rules.

carmad50, Dec 27, 2:20am
best bet is to learn to drive in a manual because when you do ur practical driving test in a manual car your lience will be stanard the aa and police that issue licences have a issue with learners driving a auto it seems and will stamp your licence with can be limited to a automatic car if you undersatnd whatIm saying, my wiffeee s been learning to drive and have let her learn both in a manual and a autotrans car and 4 w drive too knowing all the in s and outs before she passes her test and doing a defensive driving course in betweens helps speed up the licensing process. good luck and be a safe driver please

msigg, Dec 27, 2:30am
Well Auto is alot easier to drive around a big city. Every car around will be Auto one day.Just go with what you feel comfortable with. I would say most is Auto.

00quattro00, Dec 27, 4:02am
Do it in what ever is easier, soon there wont be any manual cars anyway

bmwnz, Dec 27, 4:34am
What will the Luddites do then!

vtecintegra, Dec 27, 4:37am
That is still years off happening - especially with the new crop of cheap Chinese sourced stuff which are mostly manual

tara101, Dec 27, 8:26am
It can limit your employment opportunities if you can not drive manual.
Get your restricted in a manual and include that information on your CV.
Many have to resit there restricted test in a manual just for work purposes and in some cases and it can get expensive if you have to have professional instruction.

00quattro00, Dec 27, 11:43am
Most people I know have their full befor they leave school

martin11, Dec 27, 6:09pm
Police do not issue the licences and it isNZTA who specify that if you sit a restricted in a automaticyou can only drive automatic on your own but can drive a manual witha supervisor . Once you have sat your full it does not matter what you drive there is no restrictions on a full licence .

martin11, Dec 27, 6:12pm
Not many resit a restricted test unless they have failed , never heard of one resitting to get the manual endorsement removedand most work places require a full licence to drive company vehicles .

chebry, Dec 27, 7:59pm
If you cant drive a manual you can always become a steerer in an automatic car,Automated shift vehicles are getting more common as the human herd gets less capable and more stupid.

msigg, Dec 27, 8:36pm
martin11 is correct, I know some who have sat there licences in automatics and there is no restrictions on there licence. some cars can have auto and manual shift modes too.

wind.turbine, Dec 27, 9:46pm
it is better in a manual as if you find yourself in a tight spot then you know how to and can legally drive a manual if need be.
plus if it is a learner driver it is better if they drive a manual as it maybe easier to drive an auto but remember new drivers tend to get sleepy faster then others.
driving a manual keeps them awake as there is always something to do.
I find auto very boring and this makes you tired on the open road faster than some may think.
if you have more to do then your not going to have time to relax so you wont fall asleep.

cassina1, Dec 28, 8:50am
I found attempting to drive a manual first, affected my concerntration but once I had mastered an auto and the road rules transition to a manual was a lot easier as I had used a manual gearbox on my motorbike.

yudasgoat2000, Dec 29, 9:53am
I started in a manual, but my parents made me drive auto because they were afraid I'd snap the gearstick in the near future.

scuba, Dec 29, 6:00pm
lol and you are living proof of this.