Cam belt in my honda

Page 1 / 2
alba86, Jan 18, 7:43pm
well my Honda is 13 this year. It is a Honda torneo 4 door sedan, it was a japaneese import and im the first to have it in nz. its done about 71 000 km. Took it for a service last year and was told I should have the cam belt replaced just because of the age of the car. some people have said I should just leave it till over a 100 000km. what should I do! who is right!.

NZTools, Jan 18, 7:44pm
Replace it. Cambelts break down with age.

mugenb20b, Jan 18, 7:46pm
For a peace of mind, you should get it replaced.

It's done 71 000km! Maybe.

alba86, Jan 18, 7:50pm
ye I don't drive much as walk to work for a few years now I only really use it on the weekend

NZTools, Jan 18, 7:52pm
The older it gets, the more likely it is to break and destroy you engine.

wind.turbine, Jan 18, 10:05pm
just remember if you don't get it done and it snaps, you wont be looking at a new belt, more like a new engine

vtecnet, Jan 18, 10:19pm
Honda Cars cambelt sticker says to change after 100,000k or 5 years (whatever comes 1st) so yes you do need to change that, the tensioner and the waterpump.

franc123, Jan 18, 10:41pm
You've been given good advice, I'd follow it and get it changed.

the_chooky, Jan 18, 11:35pm
You should at least take the covers off and have a good hard look at it.

jmma, Jan 18, 11:37pm
Yes, that will fix it(o:

splinter67, Jan 18, 11:56pm
I like your sense of humor

mugenb20b, Jan 19, 12:20am
The only way to inspect the cambelt is to remove it. The life of the cambelt also depends on the condition of idlers and water pump. If one of those seizes up, even a brand new cambelt will be shredded to pieces.

ash4561, Jan 19, 3:49am
I find about 240,000 km and about 20 years old they snap so on the safe side they say 100,000 im not sure how many years but its a rubber belt covered from the sun but if the cars outside in the sun and frosts the rubber could be in worse condition than if the cars keptin the shed. They generally break when the car revs up to take off at lights the loads a little bit harder on the belt or going up a hill put the accelerator down rev the engine again more load on it. If it breaks during these conditions and your going less than 30km an hour it wont do any engine damage. The only extra cost above replacement now is the car wont go so will need to be towed. If for some reason it snaps at 100km an hour it will cause damage to the engine that would be cheaper to replace the engine. I known a few to break but none at high speed.Id risk it but all the mechanics want to do them and use the youll need a new engine scare tactic.

ash4561, Jan 19, 3:54am
If you do the cambelt do these as well so you don't have to take it off to do these later.

ash4561, Jan 19, 4:24am
Most times the cam belt breaks when you are going slow and there is no damage to the engine other than a broken belt maybe its less than 15 km/hr not 30 if that's what you mean.

jmma, Jan 19, 4:26am
ash4561, ooppss a 456 (o:
Look up inteference engine.
OP not good advice.

NZTools, Jan 19, 4:30am
Speed is irrelevant. An engine that is idling will still bend the valves when they are hit by the pistons.

ralphdog1, Jan 19, 4:34am
Clearly you are more of a gambler than I.

ash4561, Jan 19, 4:42am
The cambelts that I know of breaking at about 230,000 caused no damage they were going slow. If your going fast and it breaks you get the engine interference damage to the point its cheaper to put another engine in. Maybe the op should check with people she knows it there cambelts have lasted more than 100k without being replaced and if they broke.

NZTools, Jan 19, 4:46am
Sounds more like they wernt interferance engines.

The crankshaft only has to do one revolution to bend a valve.

ash4561, Jan 19, 5:00am
Just checked a list and no cars ive owned appear to be on the list of interference engines only a few models of each make have those engines which cause damage if it breaks going slow.

a.woodrow, Jan 19, 5:24am
Although some makes and models are non interference and don't cause damage, the majority of vehicles these days are interference engines and timing failure will cause damage, this is regardless of the speed you are travelling at. In any case breaking a cambelt is still an inconvenience whether damage is done or not.

thunderbolt, Jan 19, 5:45am
Alba, you are well outside the recommended change interval.
If you wish to have a car your can rely on, change the belt as advised.

Don't take notice of those who advise against it, they won't be waiting on the side of the road with you when it dies.

mugenb20b, Jan 19, 6:31am
Fail.

carkitter, Jan 19, 6:49am
This will make things worse. Cars are built to be driven. Many rubber parts break down and fail if they are not used regularly, particularly cambelts, oil seals and air con seals.

I would recommend replacing the cambelt as soon as possible. I would doubt the water pump and tensioner would need replacing after only 71,000kms if they are the original Honda parts and the coolant is not diluted.

The next service at 80,000km is generally a big one requiring fluid and filter changes (transmission fluid, brake fluid, coolant, fuel filter) as well asspark plugs, rocker cover gasket, valve clearance adjustment, and the usual engine oil change, oil filter and brake check and adjustment. Hondas of that generation often use rear brake pads every 40,000km so I would expect to see it need it's 2nd set. Original front pads can last up to 120,000kms in some cars.

Because of all this impending routine maintenance coming at 80k, I'd do the cambelt now or asap so the cost is spread out and not a sudden unpleasant shock. At 13yrs old the cambelt can't wait.