Honda odyssey yay or Nah

Page 1 / 2
butterflybeach, Jan 14, 9:41pm
im needing bigger car can some one tell me what are these like looking at a 1998 model

dlmckay, Jan 14, 9:44pm
Two things to watch for, the biggest is the transmission - don't buy it if it doesn't shift gears smoothly and timely.

The other one I think is the engine mounts - I'm sure someone else will come and confirm that.

I LOVED my Odyssey - only swapped it for a Nissan Presage because I needed that extra seat (8 rather than 7).

thunderbolt, Jan 14, 9:44pm
how many km!
Auto!
engine size!
service history!

butterflybeach, Jan 14, 9:48pm
auto, 216kms (omg hard to find car with low kms these days) 2250cc

isobelle, Jan 14, 9:53pm
I have a 1998 Odyssey and it is the best car ever.The transmission had just been replaced when we bought it 6 years ago and it hasn't missed a beat since.We have never had any problems with it, flies through warrants.I have been thinking of replacing it but because it has been so reliable will keep it until things start to play up.The 7 seats are great as we have twins who are still in car seats and there is heaps of room for them and their big brother and cousins!It is really good on gas considering it is a 7 seater and feels just like a car to drive.Good luck!

kazbanz, Jan 15, 1:17am
OP- The 2.2 and 2.3 versions are pretty darn good vehicles.
DON'T buy a 3.0l version as they kill gearboxes and avoid the AWD version because they are REALLY thirsty.
ALL 2.2 and 2.3 odditties either will or have broken the front engine mount. This really isn't much at all to worry about even paying a tradesman to do the job it will cost less than $150 or of you buy the mount yourself it will cost about $70.00
The odditty really set the standard for room in the "station wagon" style people movers.
Parts are easy to come by.
All that said If you don't NEED a 7 seater there are mor economical to run alternatives depending on what budget you are working with.

carstauranga001, Jan 15, 7:06am
Emma how much is the one you are looking at!

outbidyou2, Jan 15, 7:08am
Nah

mugenb20b, Jan 15, 7:13am
I would only consider one at that mileage if it came with service history and / or if the price was good.

mugenb20b, Jan 15, 7:15am
Not really, but you do have to look at something that's newer.

bignzer1, Jan 15, 8:06am
We owned a 1995 Honda Odyssey 2.2ltr for about three year with no problems at all. Felt and drove like a car when all other 7 seaters at that stage felt like vans.Was a little thirsty on gas but would happily buy another one if I needed a 7 seater.

butterflybeach, Jan 15, 9:09am
advertised at $3200

butterflybeach, Jan 15, 9:11am
we sold current car to fund dog having a operation ,so need to replace now needs to be ecnomical as i gotta drive 900kms weekly just to take kids to school ,

mugenb20b, Jan 15, 9:23am
Really!

framtech, Jan 15, 12:28pm
nah, break exhaust manufolds, clearcoat over paint wears out, gearboxs iffy, very expensive on the fuel and expensive parts

butterflybeach, Jan 15, 6:03pm
yes really, she is part of our family "saving gracie" is her face book page we tried every othe avenue to fundraise

mugenb20b, Jan 15, 6:29pm
I only agree with one of the things you mentioned. The rest is bollocks.

kazbanz, Jan 15, 7:31pm
On thatbasis don't buy an odditty or MPV.or a previa etc MAYBEE a toyota Ipsum might be ok.900km a week in an oddity is going to be about 1.5-2 tanks of fuel a week in an oddity -working on it being 2 and being 50 litres in the tank and $2.00 a litre thats about $200 a week in fuel.

butterflybeach, Jan 15, 9:33pm
Ouch ok ill pass on that hmmmm what next have 3 kids any suggestions plz

thejazzpianoma, Jan 15, 10:26pm
Not may around but if you come accross a Fiat Multipla for that money (and they do come up around $3500) that would be my choice every time.

With the Fiat you don't have the expensive reliability issues, its more practical in terms of what you can put in it, its easier to park and maneuver and both petrol and diesel versions are stupidly cheap to run. They handle well and have plenty of go too.

Parts are cheap and easy to get. The only catch is finding one as they are very sought after.

EDIT, just saw how many km's you are doing, that's even more reason to geta Multipla, including RUC your 900km should cost you less than $120 for a diesel one and the diesel still has long service intervals and cheap servicing so no hidden costs. You also will only have to fill it up once a week as you can get anything up to about 1200km on a 65l tank.

thejazzpianoma, Jan 15, 10:34pm
BTW, where on earth do your kids go to school to clock up that sort of milage or did you typo and mean 90km!

butterflybeach, Jan 16, 2:30am
no typos on kms (there dad wont allow them to change schools we have 50/50 care )

butterflybeach, Jan 16, 2:32am
never heard of the Fiat Multipla but looking on trade me atm thanks heaps for that info

kazbanz, Jan 16, 2:53am
Imagine the ugliest vehicle on the road then hit it several times really hard with a 4x2just underneath the windscreen. --Thats a multipla.

kazbanz, Jan 16, 2:56am
With only three kids you don't need a 7 seater.Given that most of the time theres likely to be only four of you in the car why not a more standardtype sedan