Question about machining a block

chook90, Jan 26, 9:10pm
I have been given a bare block that has been sitting outside in the elements for at least a year. Bores are pretty rusty.

Is it possible for a machinist to bore it or is it more likely throw away material.

splinter67, Jan 26, 9:20pm
Should be fine. What is it !

chook90, Jan 26, 10:32pm
RB26 Nissan block

elect70, Jan 27, 2:59am
Might get away withhone . If it needs reborecheck price fornew pistons /rings, problabybetter to dump it &.getusedmotor .

austingtir, Jan 27, 3:12am
Do you have any idea how much used rb26 engines go for!they are hugely overpriced if he found this block cheap and its useable he'd be mad not to.

chook90, Jan 27, 3:40am
No interest in a used motor, been down that track before. The plan is a sensible complete rebuild so I know it is not going to fail.

snoopy221, Jan 27, 4:45am
You state

bare block.

And you ask about machining.

I Ask

IF!
The *Bare Block* has the
Main Bearing caps with it!
If NOT then it's JUNK.

mrfxit, Jan 27, 5:05am
Agreed but also .
Having been outside that long, it will very probably need an acid dip clean

chook90, Jan 27, 8:38am
Sorry, should have been clearer. Yes, main caps are present and it has the original crank which had been removed and stored indoors.

mantagsi, Jan 27, 11:51am
I know three fifths of bugger all about this subject, but didnt all the old yankee types used to leave blocks out to 'season' for a couple of years! It might be a really good RB26! :)

howz_that, Jan 27, 12:46pm
Take your block into a good engine shop so they can have a nosey and then they can give you a reasonable estimate.Since you got it for the right price you can justify more in machining and parts cost.