Diesel vs Petrol calculator website

thejazzpianoma, Jan 26, 2:30am
To those that use this, just letting you know that I have updated the fuel, ruc and licensing fees as of today. I have also added 98 octane as a fuel option and you no longer have to select the edit button to use the calculator live from the page.

If you have downloaded the calculator in past you may wish to download it again to take advantage of the updates.

Remember you may overwrite the fuel and licensing prices that the calculator uses anytime should you wish to adjust them yourself, this will apply to your session only.

The website can be found at www.dieselvspetrol.webs.com

Enjoy the math!

elect70, Jan 26, 2:43am
need to consider theextramaintenance cost & prohibitive prices forparts if buying aCRdeisel .

thejazzpianoma, Jan 26, 2:49am
Only if buying some Japanese and Korean ones.

Maintenance on our Grande Punto Diesel is actually slightly cheaper over time than the same car in petrol. Parts are cheap and there are no reliability issues.

Also, I have deliberately left out the different licensing fees for trucks/commercial, difference in maintenance costs etc because these are all pretty negligible in the scheme of things and only make the site more difficult to use if I add them.

Its hard enough to get people to do the math as it is.

As for the old pump injection diesels, yes maintenance can be notably higher with those, but I don't recommend people buy those at all now, they are too inefficient and most are far too old now.

Feel free to create your own opposition site and calculator.

arrithedog, Jan 26, 3:23am
Extra maintenance for diesels ! Thats a myth. Diesels are less maintenance, longer lasting and more reliable than petrol, needing fewer replacement parts, that are no more expensive.

unbeatabull, Jan 26, 6:37am
Hmm. I generally haven't seen that in my experience. About the only less thing they have is sparkplugs, but then they have glow plugs instead that require maintenance. Both still have air filters, air flow meters or MAP sensors, brake fluid, coolant, 4 wheels, oil, oil filter, diesel filter/fuel filter, drivebelts and cambelts depending on engine etc. They certainly aren't LESS maintenance then a petrol, about the same really. Costs vary between manufacturer's.

sr2, Jan 26, 7:48am
Not sure where you got that idea from, my CR Ducato diesel has a 30,000 Km interval between oil changes and the price of parts (at 260,000 km) is irrelevant as I've yet to need any apart from the obvious oil, belts and filters. I just had a cam belt change done for only $400 (inc. gst). There is a huge amount of misinformation out there!

mugenb20b, Jan 26, 8:13am
Depends on what engines you are comparing.